PDA

View Full Version : High clutch pedal

kidalem
22-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi Guys just I've become the proud owner of 04 130 tdi passat,the car is every thing that I had hoped for, that is apart from the clutch pedal which seems to be very high. There are no apparant problems with the clutch other than position of pedal, I've been told this is normal?. Are there any adjustment to lower the pedal or any know problems. Many thanks for any advice

Crasher
22-01-2008, 11:35 PM
It is a non adjustable hydraulic clutch. You could do with having someone familiar with the type of car try it to see what they think. How many miles has it done?

ashab02
23-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi
What miles is on your car?
When my bite pont came up high it lead to a new clutch and that was an expensive repair, your looking around £1000 average for a good job, dealers with charge you minimum of £1200.

When i got the new clutch the biting point was very low. From my experince when the clutch begins to wear the biting point rises as it adjusts itself. eventually it goes to the top and the clutch begins to slip

Have you noticed any clutch slipping yet?

Crasher
23-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Thankfully the price of the DMF has dropped dramatically recently.

Baron_Samedi
24-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Thank heavens for that, I wasn't looking forward to that bill come clutch replacement time!

kidalem
24-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks forward the advice guys, the cars done 75000 miles probably 75% motorway miles. I must admit that the clutch is higher than I am used to but not has high as I made it sound, the more I drive the car the more natural it feels. I asked the local garage for quote to replace clutch they said about £500:aargh4:

Crasher
24-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Did that include the DMF?

Kiwi Kranker
31-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Crasher,

Newbie here, was just wondering where you were sourcing the cost of the DMF from? My 99 2.8 A6 Q is about to need a clutch and I am expecting it to be about £850 :zx11:

Be nice if the older model parts became cheaper!!

Cheers

Crasher
31-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Ecp.

Pauloz
03-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Hi Guys just I've become the proud owner of 04 130 tdi passat,the car is every thing that I had hoped for, that is apart from the clutch pedal which seems to be very high. There are no apparant problems with the clutch other than position of pedal, I've been told this is normal?. Are there any adjustment to lower the pedal or any know problems. Many thanks for any advice
Clutch pedals are often fairly high on VW's for some reason.....

Veedubmad
29-02-2008, 09:00 AM
HI,

I have recently bought a 2001 Passat 2.3 V5 and noticed straight away that the bite on the clutch was right at the top of the pedal movement. I have had two passat tdi's and a golf gti before and none of them had a high clutch bite. I see that someone said that the clutches are not adjustable but was wondering if that differed depending on which model it is ?
If it was the clutch on its way out, i was thinking of doing the replacement myself :confused:
Has anyone ever attempted a V5 Clutch Replacement ?
Any tips and advice would be well appreciated.

Cheers

Crasher
29-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Non adjustable and a big job. Always replace the dual mass flywheel which is £535 from VW but is available from LUK for less and I think you can only get them from Euro Car Parts as GSF don't seem to be able to get it.

Inspector Beetle
29-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Try the outfit called "Mr Clutch" I have 159000 on my Passat 1999tdi. High pedal but no slip. They quoted £324 all in But said the DMF could be an extra £200.. They did the job and the flywheel was OK, perhaps I was just lucky and the Quote held at £324 so I now have a nice smoooooooth clutch!.. So far well pleased.. I saw there is an outfit in Birmingham doing a 3 part clutch kit plus a solid flywheel for about £250 . anyone know about this for future refernce? Does anything else have to be changed as well as the flywheel. eg Starter & ring gear? or is it just as simple as that?:beerchug:

Crasher
29-02-2008, 02:11 PM
It severely reduces refinement but is a direct fit.

Pauloz
03-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Non adjustable and a big job. Always replace the dual mass flywheel which is £535 from VW but is available from LUK for less and I think you can only get them from Euro Car Parts as GSF don't seem to be able to get it.
GSF and ECP both have the same supplier bud, so ECP must just have a larger reserve stock ;)

Pauloz
03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
It severely reduces refinement but is a direct fit.
And could cause knock on problems with damage to other driveline components. OE is DMF, and use is increasing throughout all the major marques. Manufacturers don't spec and pay for DMF for a laugh :biglaugh:

Crasher
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
GSF and ECP both have the same supplier bud, so ECP must just have a larger reserve stock
I checked with GSF and they can’t supply.