PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt change on Mk4 Golf GTI 2ltr 02 Reg

Carolyn
26-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi, I am being pressured by my VW dealer to have my cambelt changed. My golf is an 02 reg and I have only done 26000 miles in it. I have checked the hand book and it doesnt really say when it should be done but on reading other peoples posts it seems a bit soon. I queried this with the dealer who said they base it on the age of the car not on how many miles its done. Any advice as to whether I should have it done or not would be greatly appreciated. Also I am currently having it serviced on a yearly basis (as per the dealers instruction) can anyone tell me if this is the norm?

Thanks again

Carolyn

onzarob
26-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Yearly services are normal, on the cambelt issue its recommended to change the belt at 60000 (on my audi anyway, not sure on petrol models) but VW has also said that it should be change every 4 years whaterver the milage, due to the belt perishing over time. Your Dealer is correct to recommended it.

Rob :D

Carolyn
26-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have taken it on board and have now booked my Golf in for a cam belt change.

Thanks again :beerchug:

Carolyn

onzarob
26-10-2006, 06:09 PM
I've just had mine done on a citreon zsara which has only 71k and should be changed at 80k, but ots 5 years old. I checked it first and it had cracks all over it:aargh4: happy now it changed.

If it does break on a xsara it usally means new head and cam = thousands, cost to change cambelt then seems insignificant:wink:

Rob:D