PDA

View Full Version : MP3/iPod

JRW1979
22-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to set up my iPod with my Audi Stereo.

I've got a 2000 plate 1.8t Sport with the Symphony system. The location of the cigarette lighter isn't ideal so can anyone recommend a decent kit?

I would rather not pay the £100+ for the adaptor that fits in the back but at the same time I really want to get it sorted.

Any ideas?

jonbaker
23-01-2008, 01:33 PM
This is something i was going to post about. I could have sworn the guy i bought my car off said he plugs his ipod into the cigarette lighter, i didn't pay much attention to what he was saying as i never had an mp3 player at the time.

Was i dreaming?

You mention the cigarette lighter, please enlighten. I have the symphony bose system aswell.

Using a fm transmitter at the mo, it's pants!

JRW1979
23-01-2008, 03:04 PM
My mate has a Toledo and he uses his cigarette lighter to power it. He then has a lead going into the back of the stereo. The other option is to use the same kit but use the tape option - where you plug the tape into the tape player and its plays tunes off your ipod using that.

Just not sure which one I need

paul b
24-01-2008, 12:33 AM
This is something i was going to post about. I could have sworn the guy i bought my car off said he plugs his ipod into the cigarette lighter, i didn't pay much attention to what he was saying as i never had an mp3 player at the time.

Was i dreaming?

You mention the cigarette lighter, please enlighten. I have the symphony bose system aswell.

Using a fm transmitter at the mo, it's pants!
Jon,
Do you happen to use a genuine manufacturers stereo? Only reason I ask is because I have 3 vehicles, the A6, an Vauxhall Astra and a Renault Trafic company van. In the A6 and the van the Belkin FM transmitter works perfectly, but in the Astra which is the only one with an aftermarket stereo, it is pants.
Paul

jonbaker
24-01-2008, 02:38 PM
yeah, genuine bose symphony system. The transmitter isn't a belkin as you say just a standard cheap job i got off ebay.

When it locks into the frequency you can still hear stuff in the background, it's not strong enough imo.

rick_s
24-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I would definitely recommend you bite the bullet and spend £70 on an adaptor (like the carlink one).
I have tried various FM transmitters.. ranging from £20 to £2.49 off ebay.. and they're all rubbish in comparison! End of the day mate, you have a bose system, what's the point in having a good bose system if the sound quality coming out of it is not equally as good?!

paul b
24-01-2008, 11:58 PM
I got the Belkin FM Transmitter from Amazon for about £15.

jonbaker
25-01-2008, 09:43 AM
I would definitely recommend you bite the bullet and spend £70 on an adaptor (like the carlink one).
I have tried various FM transmitters.. ranging from £20 to £2.49 off ebay.. and they're all rubbish in comparison! End of the day mate, you have a bose system, what's the point in having a good bose system if the sound quality coming out of it is not equally as good?!

You're spot on there. But i'm having some battery draining problems at the mo part of which is the head unit draining when off at around an amp. Something else is also draining it totalling 2.5 amps of drain :zx11: but that's in another post!

Once i get that sorted and get it through the service and mot in march i'll see if i can muster up the £70, i got a feeling it will be a while. Does anyone think that a head unit draining power when off could be fixed or am i looking at a new head unit? :mad: