PDA

View Full Version : Weber Carb Tuning

bishbosh66
22-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi, having now installed a host of new parts on the MK2 1.8 8V it is time to get the new carb running perfectly. New parts are cylinder head gasket, weber carb, dizzy, fuel pump and filter, oil + air filters, warm air hose. New (2nd hand) exhaust manifold and new exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets. The car is ok, but I feel it could run better. The instructions that came with the carb state that I should set the idle speed to 850 and adjust the mixture screw to obtain the highest engine speed, and then readjust the idle screw to 850 and continue with this process until the highest engine speed that can be set with the idle screw is 850. Once this is achieved, turn the mixture screw half a turn clockwise to reduce the co2 output. Have been playing around with it for a while, and wanted to ask if others have tuned their carbs in this way, or is there other settings I should be using. TUVM.

Diamond Hell
22-01-2008, 01:18 PM
What carb is this?

bishbosh66
25-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Hi
Carb is new Weber 32/34 DMTL, with original airbox and new airfilter (not performance) Air filter housing vacuum flap is rusted shut in the warm air only position, am looking for a replacment but this shouldnt affect the running too much. Engine seems a little hesitant when increasing throttle for example up hills, if you put your foot to the floor gradually, then there seems little extra oomph, it will maintain the current speed, but seems reluctant to accelerate. It also has a "bad" speed of about 105 - 110 kmh (european car) when there seems more hesitancy than normal, it will drive through it and once above 110kmh will accelerate much better. Any clues ?

bishbosh66
12-02-2008, 01:50 AM
ok having played around with carb settings using info found on net, and retarding the ignition as smidge,car now running much better. The airflow needs looking at as the filter flap is rusted shut, however will sort that out and hopefully things will get better and better.