PDA

View Full Version : VW TRANSPORTER 2.5TDI

DICKO
25-10-2006, 02:55 PM
CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE? I HAVE A 2.5TDI TRANSPORTER AND JUST RECENTLEY IT HAS LOST POWER CONCIDERABLEY! I HAVE A JOB TO GET O 55MPH SOMETIMES!:zx11:
I HAVE HAD IT SERVICED (new filters all round etc) had the timing, turbo all checked out and all ok! its very embarressing being over taken by a transit or worse a bedford rascal!:1zhelp:
Also had th fuel lines blown out, strikes up first time! dose not smoke, so think injectors are all ok!
ANY IDEAS?

adamss24
25-10-2006, 04:54 PM
MAF time ! Get a genuine one as they last longer ! If you canot get one for the tdi a 2.0l petrol one will do just fine ! Remember that dealer ask 400 pounds for a new one ! Also i believe your 2.5 tdi is a 5 cyl inline AAT engine, with a bosch airmass meter. To diagnose the maf just unplug the conector and if its running better replace it just remember that this will set a fault code in the memory ! Please let me know what engine code/year/milleage and turbocharger you have as they were quite a few different ones on the transporter along the years. Thank you.

DICKO
25-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks mate, at least someone has got idea whats wrong with it! if i strike the van up and leave it out of gear i can get plenty of revs out of it! but as i move of in 1st gear it seems fine til i get high in the revs! then seems to go flat! i seem to have lost top end revs! and when i am in full flight (EVENTUALLY) it seems as if i cant get it to where the turbo kicks in, in 5th gear i have a job to get to 2500 revs!
your cure seems great, if only i knew what maf time, and where the maf plug is!
but still i will let you know code/year etc.
many thanks

adamss24
25-10-2006, 11:03 PM
MAF= mass airflow meter is part of the airbox top cover and should have a black plug with 4pins conected to it. Unplug that and take it for a ride. By doing that you force the ECU to go to the default values but it will also set a code in the memory so bear that in mind when you go to a garage. If it runs better then you found the culprit, if it doesnt run any smoother/worse then you need to look further: vacuum tubes, coolant temp sensor, turbocharger, the 3rd injector(the one with the wires sticking out of it !) and so on ! Also you should have the car scaned for fault codes and post them on the forum and will take it from there ! Hope this helps.

DICKO
26-10-2006, 01:14 PM
How can i thank you, pulled the MAF plug off and the vw sprang into life:D , could tell straight away that that was the culprit! so a NEW GENUINE MAF is all it needs:confused: ? tried it with the plug back on, and was shocked just how sluggish it had got!
once again many MANY THANKS:beerchug:

adamss24
26-10-2006, 08:59 PM
No problem, glad it helped !