PDA

View Full Version : Lock car -window opens........

Kiwivin
21-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Whats that all about, A4 Avant 1998. Lock the doors with remote, come back 5 mins later and the passenger front window is half open... has happened about 3 times now so its not me going mad.

Any ideas?

AutoTDI
21-01-2008, 07:29 PM
This "problem" has been discussed before (try a search). It has happened to me and this was my eventual diagnosis:
When you grab the door handle to exit the car, you can easily nudge the passenger window button without noticing. As the nudge is momentary, the window only moves part way. Invariably, this happens when you are in a hurry and you fail to notice until your return. So you're not going mad, its just Audi ergonomic design.

paul b
21-01-2008, 11:28 PM
A common mistake people make here is a function the car has that the owner doesn't know about. I will explain (from experience of this):
Ensure you are not accidently pressing the unlock on the keyfob while it is in your pocket. My Audi has an auto enclosure feature, press and hold unlock and all the windows open, press and hold lock, they all close. If you press unlock and the windows start to go down and you release the button they will stop where they are. My son was washing the car the other week, while I was moving furniture IN MY HOUSE with the key in my pocket. He was spraying the jet washer when all of a sudden the windows started to go down. He thought he'd broken it! The keys are very sensitive and this is easy to do. If you are inside, find somewhere to hang your keys in future!
Cheers
Paul

AutoTDI
21-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Good point, but only one window was being affected. In my case, I don't have remote locking, so that wasn't the cause.

b4gga83
21-01-2008, 11:55 PM
A common mistake people make here is a function the car has that the owner doesn't know about. I will explain (from experience of this):
Ensure you are not accidently pressing the unlock on the keyfob while it is in your pocket. My Audi has an auto enclosure feature, press and hold unlock and all the windows open, press and hold lock, they all close. If you press unlock and the windows start to go down and you release the button they will stop where they are. My son was washing the car the other week, while I was moving furniture IN MY HOUSE with the key in my pocket. He was spraying the jet washer when all of a sudden the windows started to go down. He thought he'd broken it! The keys are very sensitive and this is easy to do. If you are inside, find somewhere to hang your keys in future!
Cheers
Paul

Lol, I have done the exact same thing, was at a car wash place had the keys in the back pocket, the guy grabbed a sponge just before he slapped it on the window it came down. The look on the man's face :biglaugh:

paul b
22-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Hilarious isn't it?

jonbaker
22-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Ensure you are not accidently pressing the unlock on the keyfob while it is in your pocket. My Audi has an auto enclosure feature, press and hold unlock and all the windows open, press and hold lock, they all close. If you press unlock and the windows start to go down and you release the button they will stop where they are.

Been there done that!! lol :Blush:

Greengoblin
22-01-2008, 05:45 PM
I had the exact same experience as you Kiwivin, last night I came out of the local supermarket to discover that my passenger window was fully down.

As concerned as I was at the time, it got worse when my wife told me it happens a lot........ she drives the car more than I do. :(

I don't think it has anything to do with either of the explanations given here but I'm willing to stay open-minded on peoples ideas.

paul b
23-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Been there done that!! lol :Blush:
My wife did that again yesterday. Walks into the bank, comes back 10 mins later, all the windows down. I reminded her she wasn't banking enough money to let the car get nicked! I am told you can turn this feature of with VAGCOM but who would want to?
Paul

jonbaker
23-01-2008, 10:22 AM
As concerned as I was at the time, it got worse when my wife told me it happens a lot........ she drives the car more than I do. :(

My Mrs is the same. I'll get in the car at the weekend to discover a warning light or something. "oh yeah" she says, "that came on last week"!!! aaaarrrrrggghh, never bloody tells me! lol

When this window thing first happened to me it was 5th november. I thought the fireworks had done it lol all four of mine wound down to the same point, must of been the fob being pressed, hasn't done it since

Kiwivin
23-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I hear what your all saying although its only one window, passenger side, i have tried the feature of auto window opening with the remote and too be honest it takes quite a while of holding down the button for it to work so i doubt its actually that.

With regards to the passenger pressing down the button on getting out of the car, i understand the logic but this has happened with no passenger so i doubt that is it either.

Any other ideas???

Regards

AutoTDI
24-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Its not the passenger pressing the button, its the driver pressing the passenger window button which is located on the driver's arm rest. This is the button which is easily nudged by the driver.

The attached photo shows the passenger window button being "accidentally" nudged by the drivers wrist.

bora(ing) nick
24-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Good pic... A picture says a thousand words

Kiwivin
24-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Its not the passenger pressing the button, its the driver pressing the passenger window button which is located on the driver's arm rest. This is the button which is easily nudged by the driver.

The attached photo shows the passenger window button being "accidentally" nudged by the drivers wrist.

Aaah! now i see (thanks for that pic), surely this would only work if the keys were still in the ignition and not in my hand when i was getting out? (now im going have to check if i take the keys out then open the door, or open the door then take the keys out..........................................)

Typically it hasnt happened for a while now so ill keep you posted

Thanks.

AutoTDI
24-01-2008, 03:37 PM
You will find that the window buttons are still active, following removal of ignition key and until the doors are locked. Hence there is a "window" (no pun intended!) of opportunity for inadvertant operation to occur. It is a bit of a freak occurance and will happen sporadically until you understand the process. The buttons are, in fact, slightly recessed to avoid this situation, but obviously not recessed enough.

Greengoblin
24-01-2008, 04:19 PM
My only problem with that explanation is that, I don't know about others with an A4, but my door release is situated higher up the door than the arm rest and I don't use the rest to open the door, I just release the catch and push the door open.:confused:

AutoTDI
24-01-2008, 06:06 PM
My only problem with that explanation is that, I don't know about others with an A4, but my door release is situated higher up the door than the arm rest and I don't use the rest to open the door, I just release the catch and push the door open.:confused:
Accepted. Audi did change their design for later models. I wonder why? I sometimes use your procedure for opening the door, but never in a tightly packed supermarket car park where I need to exercise precise control over the opening angle. Come to think of it, I've only ever had this problem in such car parks.