PDA

View Full Version : FUCT-Failed Under Continual Testing-FUCT

redbubble
24-10-2006, 06:34 PM
ARGH!! Put car in for a service yesterday & a few bits had to be don anyway.
Well he changedw the timing belt & brake pads, did the usual & then decided i could have the car back today-£725.
Not bad really considering what had to be done. I got halfway down the road heard a pop & a hiss-thought tyre had gone & then pulled over. Engine was idling with a knocking sound-I HATE CARS!!!!!
Now had to leave it so he can tow it back tomorrow & hopefully fix it. He said something about an auxillary belt? Am a girlie & crap(ish) with cars, so what is it & what does it do?
HELP!!!!!:aargh4: :zx11: :aargh4:

Golfer7
24-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Auxillary belt is driven off the crank pulley from the engine, this drives the Alternator, Power steering & Air Conditioning if applicable. The belt shouldn't really just come off on it's own. If the cambelt was replaced I would guess something wasn't refitted correctly after the job was done.
If cambelt was replaced you have to remove auxillary belt to gain access to cambelt.
Hope this helps, Golfer7
Let us know outcome...

redbubble
25-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Well, it went back this morning. he said that he couldnt find anything wrong-then this evening he changed his mind to say it was the cam belt tensioner & that hed fixed it. I pulled out, got less than 50 yds & POP, HISS, blah blah blah!!
Rang him up, he came & listened & said it was just where he'd cleaned the gunk out of the wastegasket?
Told me to drive it home & it would be fine, but to ring in the morning if it wasnt.
Pulled away (Trying to believe him)-hardly any power at all (Its a Bora TDI).
Smoke coming out of the exhaust-so much so i expected to blow up on the way home. 10 minute journey took me 35 mins (To get home). BF tried driving it-he wont get in it again until its fixed. Making a hideous high pitched air leak noise (Drawing in or pushing out) whenever i try to accelerate.
BF said could it be that the cams out of alignment?
Car also makes a noise like its struggling to get up a hill in 4th gear (When its clearly not).
Am gonna ring mechanic again tomorrow & get him to tow car back & fix it or see me in court-have had enough now!
Any ideas?
:1zhelp: :aargh4: :zx11: :aargh4:

Golfer7
25-10-2006, 07:54 PM
At a guess I's say the cam timing is out?? Give them one last bite at the cherry if they don't fix it send it to VW.
Nightmare I know but tell them if they don't sort it you will take it to V.W. to get fixed properly and they will foot the bill.
Be calm and firm, leave ball in their court...
Good-luck, let us know outcome
Golfer7

redbubble
25-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I sent a "Feeler" text out tonight & several friends got back to me with good mechanics. Member of the family reminded me that a friend is a vw engineer so i rang him. He knew as soon as i told him the symptoms (Bit easier to explain over the phone) what the problem was.
Apparently the turbo hose has split or popped off.
He said that it was probably just pushed back in today & thenpopped out again when i drove of & that it will keep doing that if he doesnt change the hose.
Will ring in the morning & ask my man(Who has always been pretty good to me anyway) to either get pt & bring it & fix it or come & tow the car to the garage & fix it. I promise to be calm & noce-but firm. I get enough clients shouting at me at work & i tend to go deaf when they start-so i wont do the same.
Thanks for your responses though & i'll let you know if it fixes the problem
Redbubble :biglaugh:

redbubble
26-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Well after copming to pick the car up, he said there was nothing wrong. Then he decided to change his mind & tell me that the turpo hose had indeed popped off. Hes adamant i dont need a new one & hes just modifying it so that it stays in. Am kinda worried by this statement.
Still need to get car checked over once hes finished with it for my own peace of mind.:wiggle:

davemoreton
27-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Well after copming to pick the car up, he said there was nothing wrong. Then he decided to change his mind & tell me that the turpo hose had indeed popped off. Hes adamant i dont need a new one & hes just modifying it so that it stays in. Am kinda worried by this statement.
Still need to get car checked over once hes finished with it for my own peace of mind.:wiggle:
Hi

Def sounds like a turbo hose but i wouldn't recommend your mechanic modifying it when there quite inexpensive anyway.

Dave