PDA

View Full Version : Alternator broken NEED QUICK REPLY

NOGGA
20-01-2008, 08:48 PM
My alternator went yesterday ive seen one at euro car parts for £190 if i take my old one in but theres one on ebay for £100 but its a 90 amp when mines a 70 amp, will it do any damage if i put a 90 amp on? it looks the same so im ringing the guy tmoz for some sizes and numbers but i need to know if the 90 mamp will do any damage? thanks:confused:

BuyanythingbutaVW
21-01-2008, 10:11 PM
My brother had a similar problem with his mini (austin) when he bought it some years ago. The same day he bought it the car kept losing power and the lights dimmed on the way home. Called out the AA and it was diagnosed as a failed alternator. The AA bloke looked in his van that attended but didn't have any alternators of the correct size for a mini. He did however have a similar one, for a different model car, which was more powerful than a mini alternator. Think this was about a 20 Amp difference as well.

AA Bloke said that he could fit this to the mini and we asked if it would damage the car as it was a higher rating. AA bloke said that it wouldn't be a problem and if anything would make the mini better as my brother could in theory run more electrical gear on the car.

My brother authorised the works and the uprated alternator is now still running well in the car some four years later with no problems.

Not sure if it is simple as this, and I am no mechanic, but may be worth a gamble.

adamss24
21-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Did you check the wiring of the alternator ? Is the red light turning on on the dash ? Higher output alternator will do just fine...all charge batteries on the same voltage, is just the higher the output, the more gadgets you can fit: subs, ice, lights...

dean warren
21-01-2008, 11:46 PM
whats the problem with it? it could just be the voltage regulator pack in the back about £22 from vw.

NOGGA
22-01-2008, 08:01 PM
i took the alternator off and found that the bearing inside had colapsedand it had burnt out:mad: i rung round for a new one and couldnt find the 70 amp ended up buying a new 10 amp bosch! but when it came it had the wrong pulley and a bit pricey at £193 so sent it back and finaly got a 90 amp valeo which was £164 including a new belt so its all fitted and running fine thanks for the help!!!!!!