PDA

View Full Version : Water in Boot and Rear Fog(s)

chrisvrscrx
20-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi all I serviced my car today when the rain eventually stopped and came accross a few problems. Firstly while I was letting the oil drain I was clearing some rubbish out of the boot, on the right hand side of the boot there is a little storage hole I put my hand in there and it had about a 1cm of water in there. Has anybody experenced this? If so how did they cure it?

Second question/problem, I was testing all the lights. I put the rear fogs on to discover that only one was working. Is there only one rear fog light? The right light had one. I changed the bulb for the working light into the non-working light but it still never illuminated this led me to think that Passats only have a rear fog on one side.

Thanks in advance.

chrisvrscrx
21-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone any ideas?

Sam
21-01-2008, 03:03 PM
There's a foam seal that sits on the top edge of the rear cluster. Check it's still there.

Yes, there's only one rear fog

daveo138
22-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I had that problem with the rear fog.

I fitted a towbar and electrics, then discovered I only had one rear fog working. It took me ages to discover that there was only one wired up.

Why do VW do that?

Everything is there for two fog lights, just no wire to the nearside.

nikeluk
22-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Just sold my 04 passat. Sold it to a friend of a friend kind of thing... He phoned me up after less than 1 week. He's just had a towbar fitted and the fitter discovered a similar problem. As you look in the boot, the trough at the left side - where the jack is stored - had over an inch of water in it!

Well although it's no longer my car (great car though! Highline TDi 130 + power box = v quick!) I am keen to know what this is all about as i'm never going to hear the end of it with this bloke!

I don't think the water had been there long as it didn't smell. I don't think it is road water either, for the same reason. As everyone knows it has bucketed it down since Christmas so I wondered if there was a leak from the light cluster / boot rubber. There are no water marks on the carpet - that's another thing, the carpet goes on for ever and will not come out at all easily, just managed to pry enough back at the bottom of the trough to locate and pop out a bung! I did have the car valleted a couple of weeks ago to tart it up and I just wondered if some water got sloshed into the though by one of the lads? Clutching at straws I know but like I say, I'll never hear the end of it!

Have agreed to monitor the situation to see what occurs after it was drained.... will check out light cluster as I think the brake lamp blew out on that side too...

Sam
22-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Two rear fogs, when illuminated, could be confused with two rear brake lights by those not clued up on such things.

kje
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Just sold my 04 passat. Sold it to a friend of a friend kind of thing... He phoned me up after less than 1 week. He's just had a towbar fitted and the fitter discovered a similar problem. As you look in the boot, the trough at the left side - where the jack is stored - had over an inch of water in it!

Same problem, 03 estate, drips directly into jack tray from a tiewrap tail above.

Took off lower chrome window trim (clips on), silicone sealed 2" sections at a time (just a process of elimination), done about 6" now, tray bone dry and has been for weeks now. :D

Still monitoring, if it survives the 'storm' i'll be pleased.