PDA

View Full Version : Eos Internal condensation

Paul Hopkinson
24-10-2006, 10:28 AM
:zx11: Hi, my one month old Eos suffers from excessive internal condensation inside the car, even on sunny days.
To clear it, I have to start the engine and wait 10 to 15 minutes, until the engine is warm, before the climate control system works effectively to clear the windscreen to make it safe enough to drive away.
The car has been back to the supplying dealer who reportsthat there is no water ingress and that the condensation is just a quirk of the car !
Has anyone else suffered the same problem ?

As the car was/is brand new, the first time it happened I did not have a cloth etc to wipe the inside of the windscreen. Since then, I now carry a "chamois leather" inside the car, to clear the inside windows, so that I can drive away without waiting.
:zx11:

Trikster
24-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I haven't had this problem with mine, now 3 months old and kept outside. Hardly any condensation in the mornings, and quick to clear.

Although I'm surprised I haven't as I've noticed a lot of water collects on the door sills that then soaks your shoes whne you open the door - all that sitting water would be a great source for condensation if the seals weren't 100%

Paul Hopkinson
24-10-2006, 12:26 PM
I haven't had this problem with mine, now 3 months old and kept outside. Hardly any condensation in the mornings, and quick to clear.

Although I'm surprised I haven't as I've noticed a lot of water collects on the door sills that then soaks your shoes whne you open the door - all that sitting water would be a great source for condensation if the seals weren't 100%
Thanks for the info Triskster. You have confirmed what I thoiught about water and consensation. My next problem is trying to convince the supplying dealer that this is indeed a problem and then getting them to fix it.
Cheers.
Paul

Paul Hopkinson
10-11-2006, 11:20 AM
HI, sorry if this is long winded but just an update on the internal condensation problems that my Eos suffers with.
Previously I have checked under the carpets (front and rear) and in the boot for any signs of moisture and found nothing. Yesterday, after work at 5pm, the condensation was really bad, and even after the engine had warmed up, the climate control had no effect on the internal condensation.
So, this time I looked in the boot which all seemed to be dry and then I removed the rubber boot liner from the boot and the original carpet under this was Wet.
I lifted the cover that covers the spare wheel, and found that the spare wheel well had 1 inch of Water in it.(Now I know why it is called a wheel well !)
As I pass the main dealer on my way/to from work, then I left it with them.
The dealer principal and the service manager were gobsmacked when they saw the water.
Once they find out how and where the water is getting in I shall let you all know. So until then, it may be wise to have a look in your wheel well if you own an Eos.
:(

Paul Hopkinson
15-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Folks, just another update.
I left my Eos with the main dealer last thursday 9th Nov and I am expecting it back later this afternoon, 5 days later !
The water has been getting into the boot via a faulty seal at the top of the rain channel where the rear nearside wing meets the rear nearside light cluster. The affected area is hidden behind the rear light cluster.
I went to the dealers yesterday to look at it myself while all the trim etc was removed, as it is easier to understand when seen, rather than when described. I witnessed a water test and all seemes to be ok. I now have to wait while all the interior boot trim and associated bits are replaced.
As the roof control mechanism etc seems to be installed in this area, I have expressed my concerns to the dealer about the future reliability.

Cheers, from one fed up VW customer

neh321
06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
My Eos also mists up very easily inside and I am constantly having to switch it to max demist then back to heat again... bit of a pain.. There's no water in the boot though and can't see any particular reason for it.

My boot still shuts itself automatically within a second or two of unlocking it electrically. Also a bit of a pain when you have armfuls of supermarket bags but every time you 'plip' it then try to open the boot it's locked itself again.. Can't get the dealer to acknowledge there's a problem as needless to say it works perfectly outside their garage..

Also the sunroof rattles a lot on bumpy roads.

Still love the car though (I'm used to Italian cars...!)

SWORDFISH
08-12-2006, 05:20 PM
My Eos also mists up very easily inside and I am constantly having to switch it to max demist then back to heat again... bit of a pain.. There's no water in the boot though and can't see any particular reason for it.

My boot still shuts itself automatically within a second or two of unlocking it electrically. Also a bit of a pain when you have armfuls of supermarket bags but every time you 'plip' it then try to open the boot it's locked itself again.. Can't get the dealer to acknowledge there's a problem as needless to say it works perfectly outside their garage..

Also the sunroof rattles a lot on bumpy roads.

Still love the car though (I'm used to Italian cars...!)

Mmmmmmmm.. I have the same problems apart from the sunroof rattle. Also the hazard lights switch is very temperamental. I turned it off the other night and found out the next day that they had turned back on an hour after I left (was in a secured carpark). Incidentally, the car started first time even though the hazards had been on for 18 hours.
b
The boot closing issue has only just started happening within the last week. The car goes into the workshop for the switch and a faulty rubber seal on the base of the passenger door on monday. I'll post future developments.

I'm a train driver and we have new multimillion pound trains. You wouldn't believe the niggling teething troubles we got with them That's why I'm not too suprised that some faults are being found on our new cars. We are essentially the guinea pigs for VW. It's a price I'm willing to pay for having an exclusive and admired car.:approve:

Paul Hopkinson
11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi, I have similar issues with the boot locking/unlocking symptons as you , but again it isn't consistant.
My sunroof also rattles but I can probably live with this, but on leaving work last friday, I was suprised to find that when I returned to my car (parked in our works private car park) that the sunroof was "Raised Up" . It 100% was not left like this on friday morning, but fortunately friday was a dry day, so no rain water entered the car.
Talking of water, then I check my boot daily and the water ingress problem that I had, seems to have been fixed (touching wooden desk as I type) but this car's climate control is definately not a patch on other cars (Audi's, BMW's and even my wifes Ford Ka) that I have owned and driven, sometimes it still mists up when parked, when other cars around it are not misted up.

SWORDFISH
11-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Got the car back. The boot issue didn't occur whilst in the garage(sod's law!!), I've tried it about 30 times since getting the car home and the problem will just not happen.

The seal around the passenger door has to be reordered. I thought it was just loose, but it turns out it is faulty. Hazard light switch has been replaced.
The drivers door would occasionally go down halfway after the door was closed. Very annoying because it was a few seconds after the door was closed, and because I had walked away from the car, the window had been left down halfway one night and was wet through due to rain the next morning. Anyway, this is supposedly down to the pinch protection, so the seals have been relubricated.

They've told me to keep checking the boot and to mention if it re-occurs when I get the seal fixed. Incidentally, I sometimes do not lock the compartment cover, that is in the boot, into either the raised or lowered position. I can't understand how this would effect the boot lid operation, but they advised me to always clip it into place as this may be the problem with the boot lid issue (?!?!?!?)

Oh, and as to the thread title, the condensation may be down to the faulty seal, so I'll have to wait to see if the problem will be fixed with the new one.

neh321
11-12-2006, 03:19 PM
One thing we did discover about the electronic boot: if you open/close the door after releasing the bootlid the vacuum/rush of air actually moves the bootlid slightly causing it to re-lock itself! However - this is not the only answer to the problem as the boot opens and immediately relocks even when I'm standing right behind it without opening any doors!

My car mists up in wet weather which is when I have to keep turing it to max demist. Have you got the full climate control? I didn't go for it but stuck to the standard system which does pretty much the same job for less money.. No dual side control but since I'm in the car by myself most of the time didn't think it mattered!

I walked out to the car the other morning to find the sunroof tilted open and have found the same at work but must admit only when I'd had it open and had forgotten to shut it... Dry both times fortunately!

neh321
11-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Got the car back. The boot issue didn't occur whilst in the garage(sod's law!!), I've tried it about 30 times since getting the car home and the problem will just not happen.

The seal around the passenger door has to be reordered. I thought it was just loose, but it turns out it is faulty. Hazard light switch has been replaced.
The drivers door would occasionally go down halfway after the door was closed. Very annoying because it was a few seconds after the door was closed, and because I had walked away from the car, the window had been left down halfway one night and was wet through due to rain the next morning. Anyway, this is supposedly down to the pinch protection, so the seals have been relubricated.

They've told me to keep checking the boot and to mention if it re-occurs when I get the seal fixed. Incidentally, I sometimes do not lock the compartment cover, that is in the boot, into either the raised or lowered position. I can't understand how this would effect the boot lid operation, but they advised me to always clip it into place as this may be the problem with the boot lid issue (?!?!?!?)

Oh, and as to the thread title, the condensation may be down to the faulty seal, so I'll have to wait to see if the problem will be fixed with the new one.

The bootlid must be programmed at the factory to work properly on all Dealers' premises...

Dealer solved the problem with my door window coming half-way back down after closing; a sticking seal made the window think there was an obstacle so it automatically came back down. It was solved with lubrication: universal solution!

See what you say about the bootlid but find it hard to believe that's the answer as you can take the whole compartment cover right out if you want for the winter to increase boot space. Think they're clutching at straws there.

Paul Hopkinson
11-12-2006, 06:09 PM
One thing we did discover about the electronic boot: if you open/close the door after releasing the bootlid the vacuum/rush of air actually moves the bootlid slightly causing it to re-lock itself! However - this is not the only answer to the problem as the boot opens and immediately relocks even when I'm standing right behind it without opening any doors!

My car mists up in wet weather which is when I have to keep turing it to max demist. Have you got the full climate control? I didn't go for it but stuck to the standard system which does pretty much the same job for less money.. No dual side control but since I'm in the car by myself most of the time didn't think it mattered!

I walked out to the car the other morning to find the sunroof tilted open and have found the same at work but must admit only when I'd had it open and had forgotten to shut it... Dry both times fortunately!

Hi, my car has the dual zone climate control stuff fitted to it, only because I bought the car in the showroom, instead of waiting for a long delivery date of nest Feb. With 20/20 hindsight, I should have waited until next year and perhaps VW would have ironed out all the faults by then !
Also, I have tried to operate the tilt on the sunroof without the ignition being on, but it doesn't work, which I suppose is good, but it doesn't help to explain why the roof was raised when I returned to my car.
Needless to say the dealer says that this can not happen !

Never mind, happy motoring.

neh321
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi, my car has the dual zone climate control stuff fitted to it, only because I bought the car in the showroom, instead of waiting for a long delivery date of nest Feb. With 20/20 hindsight, I should have waited until next year and perhaps VW would have ironed out all the faults by then !
Also, I have tried to operate the tilt on the sunroof without the ignition being on, but it doesn't work, which I suppose is good, but it doesn't help to explain why the roof was raised when I returned to my car.
Needless to say the dealer says that this can not happen !

Never mind, happy motoring.

Perhaps you're just getting old like me...!

Paul Hopkinson
12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Perhaps you're just getting old like me...!

Well, I woudn't say that I am that old but, I have fond memorys of driving my Mg Midget, Spitfire (No, not the planes in WW2) and TR7.
All of which puts me on the wrong side of 40 !

Cheers.

SWORDFISH
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, I woudn't say that I am that old but, I have fond memorys of driving my Mg Midget, Spitfire (No, not the planes in WW2) and TR7.
All of which puts me on the wrong side of 40 !

Cheers.

Always wanted a midget...I've been the wrong side of six foot tall since I was 12 tho so they always felt cramped!! Have a MGTF now tho for the missus. I'm a sucker for a convertable.

Oh, and incidentally, went out last night to check the boot once more, it relocked itself!!! Even when it is working properly, it only needs the slightest (and I MEAN slightest) touch on it to relock it. This makes me wonder if just a bit of rain, slight breeze etc could relock it.

As to the roof being open after you came back to it...are you SURE you didn't close it properly? Only saying this because I have closed my roof from it being totally open and forgot you have to take it through the closing operation and then through the tilt/close operation.

Paul Hopkinson
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
As to the roof being open after you came back to it...are you SURE you didn't close it properly? Only saying this because I have closed my roof from it being totally open and forgot you have to take it through the closing operation and then through the tilt/close operation.

Hi, due to travelling to work in the dark mornings and dark nights and generally bad weather, then I have not had the sunroof open of tilted, or indeed the whole roof down for at least a couple of weeks so I am 100% sure that I haven't forgot to close it.
There could be a possibility that I have accidently caught the switch while opening the arm rest cover, but this seems as likely as winning the lottery as the switch is recessed ! and I have tried on purpose to accidently operate the switch, and do not seem able to do so. :confused:

Never mind, just another gremlin.

neh321
13-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi, due to travelling to work in the dark mornings and dark nights and generally bad weather, then I have not had the sunroof open of tilted, or indeed the whole roof down for at least a couple of weeks so I am 100% sure that I haven't forgot to close it.
There could be a possibility that I have accidently caught the switch while opening the arm rest cover, but this seems as likely as winning the lottery as the switch is recessed ! and I have tried on purpose to accidently operate the switch, and do not seem able to do so. :confused:

Never mind, just another gremlin.

You still have a bit to go to catch up with me then...

I was going to suggest the same as Swordfish as once or twice when I have shut the fully-open sunroof I have forgotten it's a 2-stage operation so have left it tilted. Also once or twice I HAVE pressed the switch twice but the second time just a split-second too soon and it didn't do anything. You do have to wait until it's finished and then give it half a second to settle before you use the switch again to finally close it!

See Swordfish has the same boot-closing problem. It's definitely not just a vacuum problem. Even when I'm standing right behind the car and I plip the key-fob (I've given up using the switch in the door) it opens and immediately closes. I have now perfected the timing and catch it just as it comes to the end of the one-second electrical opening and I lift the lid with the badge. Get it wrong by even a tenth of a second and the electrical closing operation starts and you have to wait then go through the motion again. Annoying or what?

Somehow I'm going to demonstrate it to the dealer and they'll have to admit there's something wrong!

Paul Hopkinson
13-12-2006, 11:14 AM
You still have a bit to go to catch up with me then...

See Swordfish has the same boot-closing problem. It's definitely not just a vacuum problem. Even when I'm standing right behind the car and I plip the key-fob (I've given up using the switch in the door) it opens and immediately closes. I have now perfected the timing and catch it just as it comes to the end of the one-second electrical opening and I lift the lid with the badge. Get it wrong by even a tenth of a second and the electrical closing operation starts and you have to wait then go through the motion again. Annoying or what?

Somehow I'm going to demonstrate it to the dealer and they'll have to admit there's something wrong!

Good luck with your visit to the dealer.

My boot operation is slightly different, in that I press the release on the key fob and sometimes it opens the boot and other times it does not. If it dosen't work, then I use the key fob to lock all doors etc, then unlock them and then press the keyfob and usually the boot then opens, but not always.
But, like you, when ever I have used the switch in the door, then the boot is still locked by the time I have reached the boot, even when standing outside the car with the door open, ready to pounce at the boot (I dont think that Linford Christie would make it in time !) so I also have given up in trying to open the boot this way.

hula-hoops
18-12-2006, 10:47 PM
No boot problems (touch head) but I am having a problem with condensation. The back window always has condensation in this weather. The other windows are never as bad. Maybe I'll try parking the car the other way around maybe the sun is clearing the other windows? I'll see what the dealer can do when I take it there next time. I am still waiting for them to get hold of the USB port!

Simon

Paul Hopkinson
19-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi Hula-hoops, welcome to the condensation lovers club !

Paul..

Porker
19-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi All, potential new Eos owner hear! I had a test drive of the Tdi on Sunday morning, and the test car had condensation on all the window. Didn’t occur to me to ask why, wish I had found this site earlier ;-) Still I’m going to make my purchase on Friday - subject to office party hangover!

All the best
Paul

Paul Hopkinson
20-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone, with the recent cold weather, then the condensation that my Eos suffers from (still no more water in the boot by the way) has turned to ice on the inside of the windows.
In umtine years of driving, I have never owned a car that ices up on the inside !
Well done VW, another winner.

SWORDFISH
22-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone, with the recent cold weather, then the condensation that my Eos suffers from (still no more water in the boot by the way) has turned to ice on the inside of the windows.
In umtine years of driving, I have never owned a car that ices up on the inside !
Well done VW, another winner.

I have an MG which is worse than the Eos. I've also owned a few other covertables and all have suffered from this problem. I did think the hard top would have allieviated the problem though.
I just wish the front and rear windows would clear as quick as the wing mirrors, cos those clear extremely quickly with the heaters turned on in them. The front windshield can take ages. No inside frost yet!!

Caddy Van Man
09-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't have this problem in my EOS.

Paul Hopkinson
10-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't have this problem in my EOS.

Lucky you !

It's a good job mines got heated seats, cos first thing in the morning, it's like sitting in a fridge.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

mandh22222
13-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Interesting that DVLA have put VW 07 EOS into an auction sale......they were a bit slow on that one !! I know a man................:D

Gadgeteer1066
18-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Interesting that DVLA have put VW 07 EOS into an auction sale......they were a bit slow on that one !! I know a man................:D

And this has what to do with condensation?????:confused:

Gadgeteer1066
18-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't notice any condensation in my car when I go to it. However, if I get into it and don't immediately start the car with the blower going, it very quickly mists up all the windows. A few moments with the blower on full clears it all away.

I have to say the standard air-con system is very poor. My Golf has the 2 zone version and that seems far superior. Unfortunately, my car was a showroom model, so I couldn't specify anything different.

I have noticed a little condensation in the lights (front and back) but they quickly clear and I noticed a line in the handbook that says that is normal.

Caddy Van Man
18-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Do you have a link to this sale please?

Paul Hopkinson
20-02-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't notice any condensation in my car when I go to it. However, if I get into it and don't immediately start the car with the blower going, it very quickly mists up all the windows. A few moments with the blower on full clears it all away.

I have to say the standard air-con system is very poor. My Golf has the 2 zone version and that seems far superior. Unfortunately, my car was a showroom model, so I couldn't specify anything different.

I have noticed a little condensation in the lights (front and back) but they quickly clear and I noticed a line in the handbook that says that is normal.

Hi, mine also mists up if I do not start the engine immediately.

I have the 2 zone system and believe me you are not missing anything.
This system is not as effective as air con in other cars.

But what I find different, is that my car is often the only car in a car park that is misted up when I return to it after it has been left for 8 hours while I am at work.

Paul..

netherfield
23-03-2007, 06:41 PM
My wife today has had enough of the condensation inside,so rang the dealer and spoke to the salesman,who admitted that Eos's were constantly coming back (like yo-yo's)for remedial work.
We got the car in september,it went back in on the 4th jan,kept it for a week all they did was fit a new seal round the boot,it stood for 6 days waiting for the part to arrive.
Today she rang to Milton Keynes 0800 711811 to make a complaint to VW,who say they will ring back within 4 days to let us know what they will do about the problems.
At the moment the salesman is advising as many customers as possible to complain direct to VW,also it would appear ours was among the first batch to come over here,and that newer models are not as bad.

The dealer did collect and return the car and left a well used Jetta 2.0 tdi DSG,as usual sniffing fumes,and if that is an example of a DSG I certainly would not have one.

She as finally stated that she wishes she had not got rid of the Bora.

Copy of same on the water problem thread.

Paul Hopkinson
26-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi netherfield
Sorry to hear about your problems.
I hope that you get a better response from VW UK than I did.
I wrote to them and their response was Pathetic.
Are We really expecting too much ?

Paul..

alpappy
27-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I note that many cars on on offer at motorpoint..I wonder why!!!

alan

alpappy
27-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I note that many cars on on offer at motorpoint with huge discounts..I wonder why!!!

alan

Paul Hopkinson
28-03-2007, 09:13 AM
I note that many cars on on offer at motorpoint with huge discounts..I wonder why!!!

alan

Hi Alan
cos any one who has done some research before buying (unlike me !:mad: ) would be bonkers to trust to luck that "their Eos" will be one of the good ones that is not affected with serious problems.
It seems that it is a lottery as to wether a new owner receieves a good problem free car.

Paul..

alpappy
28-03-2007, 09:48 AM
You are quite right but the residuals ar going to be hit They are selling 2l diesel sport for under 20K!! I reallylike this car and the design but until all the issues are resovled i would not buy I spoke to someone who works for a big VW dealer nearby said the cars are in and out like yoyos with leaks He said he has seen a couple where the roof cameof the rubber rmountings and as it closed scratched the other roof panels

alan

davidp
30-03-2007, 11:40 PM

alan
the new motorpoint eos cars are sourced from 'mainland Europe' and are pre registered to Motorpoint (so they are the first owner). Road tax and reg fee are extra and I imagine they will only have a two year manufacturers warranty.

GurnyGub
31-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, 3,700 miles since 18th Jan. and all's great so far. Just to fast track any possible leaks I've used my own pressure washer with brush, and my local garage washer (using distance as force diminution). AOK. Now my point; if earlier models had different/inferior seals there is one course of action open for earlier owners above all other options. You must get TOGETHER. I feel for the unlucky owners, and want this fixed as much as anybody. It's the reputation of my car too, leak or no! The weaker complainers will be singly fobbed off first, so a group action is the way forward. It's up to all of YOU.

Paul Hopkinson
02-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, 3,700 miles since 18th Jan. and all's great so far. Just to fast track any possible leaks I've used my own pressure washer with brush, and my local garage washer (using distance as force diminution). AOK. Now my point; if earlier models had different/inferior seals there is one course of action open for earlier owners above all other options. You must get TOGETHER. I feel for the unlucky owners, and want this fixed as much as anybody. It's the reputation of my car too, leak or no! The weaker complainers will be singly fobbed off first, so a group action is the way forward. It's up to all of YOU.

Hi John

Mine doesn't leak all the time - only when it comes into contact with water :D

But joking aside It is not up to us, the owners. It is up to VW and the dealers.
Talk to anyone who works for vw, has a vested interest in vw or is a vw fan/fanatic and they do not see what the problem is or they don't want to know what the problem is.
Talk to anyone not related to vw or vw dealers or who has an interest in vw and they are absolutley astounded not so much by the fact that there are problems, but by the fact that vw doesn't give a tick about it.

If by reading this forum and the other vw/eos forums, then if there are only a handful of cars that leak, then surely vw only has to actually fix them for all to be happy.
My feeling is that there must be lots of eos's that leak and vw do not wish to acknowledge this as it would open the door (nearly said flood gates but thought better of it, oh I did say flood gates, never mind) and they would get a bad reputation.

Paul.