PDA

View Full Version : Electric Window Problem

mattbrew1
24-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have a bit of a problem with my 2000 (W) A6 2.4 Quattro - the front electric windows are happy to wind down, but have both become stroppy when asked to wind themselves up again. They'll get so far before either stopping or winding down again. The only way to get them up appears to be to manually pull them up...
Does anyone know if this is an electrical problem, or whether I am just unfortunate and both motors have decided to give up at the same time...
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Clack
27-10-2006, 07:11 PM
I've just had the same problem on my S3.
The window is happy to go down but not so when asked to go up.
It would go up a few inches and then stop and go down again.
I have just cleaned the black fuzzy channels with a small screwdriver and sprayed WD40 into the channels and soaked the base of the channel to allow the oil to dribble down the channel inside the door.
You will have to work the window up and down several times to get the oil to lubricate but after 5 minutes mine were working OK.

Hope this helps
:beerchug:

mattbrew1
30-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the ideas Clacky. Just one question before I give it a gothough. When you say "I have just cleaned the black fuzzy channels with a small screwdriver" did you have to dismantle anything or did you just use the screwdriver to check inside the channels?
Cheers

:D

Clack
30-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Hiya

I just ran a small screwdriver up and down the upright channels (black fuzzy one) to remove all of the crud and debris that had built up.
It is also worth running a WD40 soaked rag along the rubber seals all around the door as it amazed me how much crap had built up in there as well.
Good luck
Cheers
:beerchug:

mattbrew1
30-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Right-o. Will be giving it a try when I get home tonight.
Thanks for your help - will post an update tomorrow.
:biggthump

NickHuge
23-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi guys :1zhelp:

Did this work when you tried it? also how do you get to these fuzzy channels you speak of? Audi told me it was a problem with an ECU and quoted me £2000, just got one off Ebay for £25, but keen to try out your solution first...

Jum
24-03-2007, 12:58 AM
The window lifts dropping the window by 2" is a common fault, at least it has with the last 3 Audis I have had. As the previous post said, lower window to bottom and I use the rounded handle of a Knife so I don't dammage the rubber, clean out the runner.

Will work fine for 3 months and then you will need to clean again

NickHuge
24-03-2007, 01:33 PM
what do you mean by the runner? i kowered the window all the way and tried cleaning everywhere i could, with the door panel off, bnut still no joy

Jum
24-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Sorry.

The runner is the rubber guide which the window sits in. You will see that it is slightly L shaped but as the glass pushes into it, it deforms into a U channel that both seals the window and holds it in place.

If the window can not 'deform' the rubber and make a seal, the mechanism thinks that the window is obstructed (Small fingers) and drops 2" - 3" as a saftey measure, dirt will stop it making that seal.

Oh and try a silicon lube instead of WD40 as oil based lubricants can over a period of time cause the rubber to become hard and crack

mattbrew1
28-03-2007, 03:55 PM
My windows are still playing up do will be trying to clean them out again, probably using Jum's idea with the silicone based lube.

Will let you know how I get on...
:boggled:

redrobo0
13-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have a bit of a problem with my 2000 (W) A6 2.4 Quattro - the front electric windows are happy to wind down, but have both become stroppy when asked to wind themselves up again. They'll get so far before either stopping or winding down again. The only way to get them up appears to be to manually pull them up...
Does anyone know if this is an electrical problem, or whether I am just unfortunate and both motors have decided to give up at the same time...
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Hi Matt.
Hade the same problem Got the same car done all the cleaning and lubricating. still didnt work
If your up to a little work this is what you need to do. order from your local audi dealer 4 blue window sliders part numbers 4B0-837-463B. Cost you £1.19 + vat each thats the easy bit. you have to strip the window frame out of the car. That means take the door facia panel off. Remove switches (small hole under armrest.push small screw driver up hole this will lift switch pad up lift out and disconect switches. Next there are 2 screws (posi) each end of the door trim remove them get hold of the arm rest and lift up the door panel is then free. unclip the door opening cable from the handle end.
unclip the other elctric cables from under the black foam backing. the facia will then come away. Unclip the wiring harness and unplug the window motor. Remove the four bolts Whitch hold the frame to the door.Lay frame down with out side faceing up you will see at the bottom of the glass two plastic holders (green) with screws through them. remove. pull flap down and femove glass. you will then see the two offending blue sliders with the cables attached to them one will be broken where the cable clips in .You can now remove the sliders twist them over the rail the cable will come with it unclip the cable and replace the blue sliders. Reasemble the the glass and door frame in reverse of stripping. this will cure your problem. Forgot to tell you remove window motor 3 screws makes allows you to move glass up and down. When completed test window.
to reset the window switch put window up then release switch. then hold switch in the up position for 5 seconds that resets the auto up and down.
Regards Alan :Blush:

mattbrew1
13-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Blimey - thanks Alan.
That's more complicated than I had hoped for, but the thought of parting with a whole heap of caash to get an Audi dealer to look at it might just persuade me to have a go...

redrobo0
13-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi Mat. If your in the south wales area I could help you. Or if you know someone who can use spanners its not that difficult took me under two hours to complete one door
regards Alan