PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 Clattering sound. Help!

rob07903
20-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi,

On my A4 Avant, when pulling away, there is a clattering sound which appears to be coming from the front wheels. The sound is worse when turning, but is only noticable at very low speeds. Any Ideas anyone?

It's 1996 model and is a 2.6 V6

Thanks
Rob

rhencullen1989
20-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a drive shaft constant velocity joint to me, drive the car on full lock slowly in an empty car park and get someone to walk by the car and listen which side,or have the windows open and listen yourself, but be careful not to run them over! Also possible wheel bearing breaking up, was it making a droning noise like a world war 2 bomber when going straight at speed?

rob07903
20-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Sounds like a drive shaft constant velocity joint to me, drive the car on full lock slowly in an empty car park and get someone to walk by the car and listen which side,or have the windows open and listen yourself, but be careful not to run them over! Also possible wheel bearing breaking up, was it making a droning noise like a world war 2 bomber when going straight at speed?

Hi, thanks for your help here. It's not a wheel bearing I don't think as there is no droning noise at all. The CV Joint makes sense. I'll do what you suggested and see what happens... and hey, you never know, I might run my missis over at the same time ;)

Thanks again.

Rob