PDA

View Full Version : 1996 - Golf TDi - Heater Problems

Octavius
23-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Hello All,

New to the group and also to diagnosing my car problems. The heater / blowers in my '96 Golf TDi have stopped working. It was intermmitent for a couple of weeks but now it does not work at all. None of the 4 levels work. I have checked the fuse and it is ok.

Any ideas are appreciated before I go and pay for somebody to check it out.

O

adamss24
23-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Needs new brushes...vw doesnt sell carbon brushes only the whole blower $$$$. Try breakers for a used one from a similar age a3/golf. Its quite a dificult job for a novice so i sugest getting a haynes repair manual from your local halfords breanch or go to a dealer . Good luck.

thefoolmccool
24-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Could be the switch. May as well try this as it is far easier to get to. The blower motor is in the passenger footwell behind the kick plate bit of dash that drops out with 4 screws. If you have a multimeter it could come in handy!

Boardboy
24-10-2006, 01:22 PM
The fan packed up on my MK II. First it stopped working in postion one then two, and finally altoghter. The guy in my local parts place said there is a resistor that fails in the fan and is quite common. I replaced it with one from a breakers. Not a bad job.
However like foolmccool says is could be the switch. My girlfriends MK III the fan doesn't always work in postion three. If I move it back and forth between the postions it works for a while.
Hope you get it sorted
Boardboy

Octavius
25-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was offline yesterday so have only just seen them. On Monday evening the damn thing would not work through wind and rain and much steaming up. Yesterday driving home in sunny weather all working fine!!

I got hold of my brother, an ex-mechanic, who also told me to check the switch. Just done that and discovered a mass of cable stuffed around the fan controls from a car stereo install I had done a couple of months ago. About 2meters of the stuff curled up. I've moved that well out the way to see if things get any better. My theory it may have been blocking something. Only time will tell.

thanks again.