PDA

View Full Version : Mk 2 Golf 1.3 '89:- electric or mechanical fuel pump?

jonnysb
18-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Hello all, first post.

My missus was given a crackin wee 1.3 mk2 golf by a friend last year. It has been through the wars physicaly but machanicaly it runs great.... until a couple of days ago!

Lou (my missus), tells me she can't get Ohm (the car was named before we took ownership...) to start. I check the obvious; fuel in tank, check. Battery ok, check. Water and oil in engine :p, check.
The starter motor seems to be good as it's turning the engine over ok but Ohm will not go.
Next checked the sparkplugs, again all good (nice sandy brown colour which I think is good, yes!?). HT leads all look ok and fit nicely (gave em a skoosh of wd40).
Still no go, so try bumpstarting it - nothing.
Asked the missus if she had had any problems with the car cutting out or dying whilst accelerating and she said it had but she thought it was to do with driving through puddles....
So, I'm thinking fuel pump now... definately fuel delivery... well that's what I'm here to ask you folks, oh and the title question. I've only ever worked on cars with electic pumps in the fuel tank and have no idea where to look if it's the other type!

Please help! I'm having to cheaffeur the missus all over the place!

Jonny :1zhelp:

kenney
18-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Need your engine code

jonnysb
18-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Couldn't find the engine code but no matter... popped into ********* on the way home for a cheeky peek in a Haynes book and it's the machanical type which sits on the right side of the inlet side of the engine (I'll pop a pic up on Sunday). Should've mentioned it is a carburettor model, sure that woulda cleared things up.

I pulled the supply to the pump and got the missus to turn the ignition.... dry as a bone. No fuel came through. I tried blowing throught the supply line to check if it was blocked but it felt clear and still no fuel when cranked.

SO, it's got to be the pump unless it's something daft like the strainer on the sender unit being totally gunged up....?
Can anyone tell me where the sender goes into the fuel tank? I guess it's either in the boot or under the rear seats?

Thanks folks,
Jonny

Crasher
18-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Ohm, the car is called resistance - humm!

The engine code will be MH or 2G but should be the latter.

The fuel pick up in the tank is very simple; the pump is driven off the cam.

If you remove the pump to replace it you must remove the cam cover to make sure that the pump drive is in-line with the little push rod from the cam as you fit the new pump. Make sure you fit a Pierburg pump; there is some real rubbish out there.

jonnysb
25-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Hehe, the unit of resistance describes the car pretty much to a tee at the mo' but originally it was thought to be more of an 'Ohmmmmmmm' bhudist chant type thing ;).

Anyways thanks for the advice Crasher. Managed to get a pump from Euro car parts for £14 (it's a Machanex one.... prob's the cheapy :o). Fitted it today and the car runs great again!

Cheers,
Jonny