PDA

View Full Version : MMI Bluetooth & Factory fitted phone

Satty B
18-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi there.

I've recently purchased an A8 (05 plate) which comes with MMI bluetooth and a factory fitted Motorola (bluetooth) handset requiring a SIM card.

I've put my SIM into the handset, and that works fine. However, my understanding was that you could still pair a mobile phone device to the MMI? I have a SE P1i and previously a SE P990i, neither are able connect to it.

If not (as may well be the case), what modification do I need to do before I can pair handsets with the MMI? I've heard that the Motorola hanset in the car actually comes paired from the factory (something about physically connecting it to the base unit).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :1zhelp:!

Regards,

Sat.

parker40
27-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi, Have just joined and have exactly the same problem on my 03 plated 4.0 tdi quattro. Although my sim card fitted into the car does not do anything.
I am trying to connect my mobile to the mmi because i cannot see the point in the car phone and the sim card being seperate as you cannot class the phone as a mobile as it is.

Regards

Michael

beemerboy9
01-02-2008, 07:22 PM
If you have the Motorola Handset rather then Bluetooth prep, you cannot pair your own phone.
Two choices -
1) pay a nice man approx £650 to convert the car to remote SIM operation.
2) - my choice - buy a Pay-As-You-Go SIM and divert my contract phone to the car for incoming calls. If I'm stuck in the car for hours and need to make long calls, I put my contract SIM in the car-phone.

J7KED
03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi,
I also have the same problem on a 2004 A8. I've spoken to three dealerships and they all same the same thing as beemerboy9 despite what the handbook says about being able to pair up to 5 bluetooth devices if your have the Motorolla bluetooth handset you cant pair anythig up with it the pairing just fails I've tried it with an O2 XDA and T-Mobile MDA and various Nokias extremely annoying and one of the tings that really niggles me - bad show Audi who thought this one up!

Works fine with sim insterted but its a pain swapping sims each time..

The last dealership I spoke to admited it was bad design!:(

Jaime

Satty B
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the advice guys - will have a look at the BT prep option and let you know how I get on!

Sat.

a8 tech
12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
or duplicate sim card so one stays in the built in unit.There has never been a compatable mobile phone that pairs with built in but the early motorola phones worked.RETRO fitting phone prep or sim access is exspensive but it can be done.http://www.tclsatnav.com

beemerboy9
12-03-2008, 09:11 PM
or duplicate sim card so one stays in the built in unit.There has never been a compatable mobile phone that pairs with built in but the early motorola phones worked.RETRO fitting phone prep or sim access is exspensive but it can be done

If anyone finds a good deal on a duplicate SIM on any Network, please let me know! The rules for getting a duplicate SIM as a new personal customer on Vodafone are hideous.

a8 tech
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
orange were the one but i havent delt with in car phone for awhile as all a8s now come with sim access profile as standard.If you northwest based i can forwrd you on to some one who will retro fit phone prep replacing the in built cradle with a mobile cradle and bt software.http://www.tclsatnav.com