PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Potentiometer

Walshybloke
18-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Please help!?

I have a A4 1.9TDI 2001.

About six months ago whilst driving on the motorway, my accelerator pedal just died on me (glow lamp and the triangle with ! inside came up on dash) The engine stayed running and everything else in the car was fine (Lights, heater, etc etc) My local garage put it on diags and came up with a fault with the Throttle Potentiometer and replaced it (audi part). A month or so later same thing happened again but this time they said it was a sensor??? Last week it happened again now this time they said that they were baffled apart from when they have been speaking to audi they say that sometimes water can get in and cause an intermittant fault??? Strangely on each occasion i have had the AA tow me to my garage and each time they say by the time they start looking at the car it drives ok?

Unfortunately i am a completly ignorant when it comes to fixing cars but has anyone else come across this type of thing?

:confused:

Crasher
18-01-2008, 11:05 PM
That sounds like a faulty brake light switch. I don't suppose you have the fault code number currently stored do you?

Walshybloke
19-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Sorry no.

Again not knowing anything about cars....how do my symptoms relate to a brake light switch?

Its funny cause i did have a rear bulb go on me at the time?

Crasher
19-01-2008, 05:44 PM
The throttle is electronic on modern cars and the brake light switch is part of the safety system.

Walshybloke
19-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Havent got codes but the garage never mentioned brake system.

They mentioned intermitant fault with Potentiometer came up this time but not much else. When they spoke to audi to get some advice they suggested it could be water getting in??!

Would a brake light bulb cause the throttle to give up though?

I will try and ask the garage for the codes if they still have a record of them

Cheers

Crasher
19-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Two blown bulbs can cause problems but you need to get the car to someone who knows a bit more.