PDA

View Full Version : EPC light

ktscarlet
22-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi again everybody...So I just got the leak fixed in my car and it was the pipes in the sunroof just like you all told me. However my EPC light just came on and My manual says it has something to do with the power of my engine...can anybody explain this to me so I can understand it and how serios it may be. Would really appreciate it. I have a 2001 Jetta Bora.

Thanks, Kate:(

Snowdance38
24-10-2006, 02:46 AM
I had that problem once.. It turned out to be an engine temp switch.. Which was replaced free by VW.. But here in the US the dealer has to take care of that stuff for 10 years by law..

I can tell you what the book says..

EPC Gasoline engines only..

If a malfunction in the engine electronics should occur, the EPC will blink.. The engine control automatically switches to the back up program.. You will notice, however, a reduction in engine power.. Please contact a Dealer..

ktscarlet
24-10-2006, 03:35 PM
THANXS SO MUCH...YES I READ WHAT THE BOOK SAID AS WELL BUT DID NOT MAKE A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE TO ME...DO YOU THINK I CAN GET A DIAGNOSTIC CHECK AT AUTO ZONE AND THEN CAN TELL ME? aND WHAT IF I BOUGHT MY CAR USED? ANY THOUGHTS?

KATE

Snowdance38
24-10-2006, 05:37 PM
I have no idea about getting a Diagnostic Check at Auto Zone.. We do not have them around here..

I also bought my wagon used and took it to a VW dealer.. They fixed it free.. But its my understanding VW has to keep up the emission system on all cars for 7 or 10 years.. Can't remember whitch.. If its on backup program then it would not make the emissions check odds are.. I think I would first talk to VW.. If they say no way then would go another way.. Never cost much to talk to people..

ktscarlet
24-10-2006, 06:25 PM
thanksagain...will try it out this week...you've been great.

Snowdance38
25-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Not sure where you live.. But both my VW's will have the check engine light come on if the gas cap is loose.. VW says that is the most common.. I know its minor but I would check the gas cap and be sure the gasket is good and the cap is on right.. Had a friend stop by yesterday with a light on.. Tightened the cap and the problem went away..

I know this to simple an answer but heck its free to check the darn thing..