PDA

View Full Version : Locked door woes, how to open it to repair it?

sensible
21-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know how to open a locked door from inside the panel? Passenger door is locked and cannot be opened from inside, outside, remote etc.

Have door card a bit out of the way (cannot access front screw!) can see inner panel and the lock module but no obvious mechanical part to "pull" to release the lock.
Appreciate any help whatsoever! really stuck with this, wife complaining about having to climb over the shift everytime to get into the car. (02 Bora SE auto)
p.s. first problem in two years! had to be a biggie didn't it!
p.p.s Seems straightforward to repair/replace module once it is out but all posted links relate to doing the job with the door open!
Cheers

delta
08-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I had this problem on a Golf IV when I had reassembled the door after replacing the *deleted* window grips. The exterior handle pulls a cable to open the door. This cable (size of a bicycle brake cable) has a plastic half-round nipple which engages in the rear face of the door handle.

I had refitted the cable too tight and the door would not open because the mechanism was jammed.

Even when locked you can still pull the door handle out and just enough to see the cable nipple (it's flush with the rear face of the door handle). I could get a long pointed object (fine screwdriver for example) and flick the nipple out of engagement. This released the door to be opened from the inside. Of course, I then had to take out the lock again to re-engage the cable.

Just to recap: it's where the rear edge of the door handle meets the keylock assembly that you have to look at.

Hope this helps, but take as much advice as possible to avoid a nasty surprise. I found a great illustrated article about VW doors and locks at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107)

sensible
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Delta,
In the end I found a mechanic mate with a few spare hours! It was the actual lock unit that has seized up. He managed to open it by 'pulsing' the central locking feed wire (to the motor) whilst tapping the lock unit with a metal rod. This tapping along with the motor trying eventually nudged the lock open. All sorted in two hours. New lock unit was only £70 odd, which when you look at it, is good value. We asked why they were so cheap (considering their compexity) and received the reply "oh, its becasue we sell absolutely loads of them..............."
No wonder that VW don't try too hard to fix some of these common and inherently bad designs.
Cheers again
Sensible