PDA

View Full Version : Won't go into gear

TheWills
18-01-2008, 10:21 AM
I parked up at work and came back to the car at the end of shift, started the car with the clutch depressed as I always do, went to put it into gear and each one was solid as a rock. It would not push past neutral into any gear. I eventually got a result by turning off the engine and then it selected right away. The car drove normally and hasn't given me a problem since, until this morning when my wife tried to move it to get hers off the drive and exactly the same again. The clutch is relatively high biting but will stall when checked. I'm thinking clutch as I had a play with the car and when trying to push it into gear, if you push the gearstick toward the selection it meets resistance (with the clutch down and the hand brake off), it creeps forward very slowly.
Again engine off, pop it into gear, start up and away we go.
Any pointer would be greatly appreciated.

layerz
18-01-2008, 10:57 AM
This sounds like the slave cyclinder on the clutch.

A temp fix is bleed the clutch.

audimad
18-01-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree with above ^^

TheWills
18-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Thats good news, well compared to how I started today. Thanks for the help and quick replies.

layerz
18-01-2008, 07:00 PM
OK, I can post a bit more in detail now.

When I have this I had to do some annoying gear changes. With clutchless gear shifts matching revs (not recomended) or the switch off method/ pumping the clutch.

There is a 10 mm bolt on the gear box, undo this on a level surface and let some fluid out but do not touch the clutch. Make sure the level is topped up.
As mentioned that is a temp fix and you prolly want a new slave cyclinder for 60 quid and it is located on top of the gear box, mine was done by my garage as it is an **** to get to.