PDA

View Full Version : how to remove 01 passat headlamp and bumper?

explorer
18-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Hi is it necessary to remove the bumper off a passat to replace the drivers side headlamp??....i was looking for posts about this but didnt find any specific to a passat?......is it a tough job or does it just take alot of tiime?is there any instructions here on doing this?thanks....

KeithS
18-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi is it necessary to remove the bumper off a passat to replace the drivers side headlamp??....i was looking for posts about this but didnt find any specific to a passat?......is it a tough job or does it just take alot of tiime?is there any instructions here on doing this?thanks....

I don't know if it has changed but on a '98 one you do not have to remove the bumper. The headlights have 3 screws, 2 on the top easy to get to, 1 on the side which requires you remove the indicators (which is easy - they are held in place by a spring clip). Then just move the headlight slightly to the side and lift out.

explorer
21-01-2008, 10:54 AM
thanks..im not sure if same as 98 modelor not....i know my particular headlamp has a built in indicator in the headlamp....ill try to examine mine and check if its the same

snapdragon
21-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, you need to take the bumper off.
You need a set of male torx/star sockets.

Take the bonnet releast handle off.
Take the grille off.
Take the four screws out hidden by grille.
Take the 4 screws out in each wheel arch.
Pull each edge of the bumper back towards the wheelarch and unhook it (each end)
It will then fall off.
Don't forget to put the bonnet release handle back before you close the bonnet!:biglaugh:

explorer
21-01-2008, 05:31 PM
thanks for that......
at least i know what im undertaking now if i try it myself....