PDA

View Full Version : radio signal amplifier.

darkhorse1001
18-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi all,

just got an aftermarket headunit for my a4 b5.5, was told by the suppliers that i'll need an adapter to retain the use of the radio reception amplifier. i've managed to fit in a new headunit, remove the old stock sub and amp from behind the trim in the boot and fit a new amp and sub and 6 speakers all round, but i am completely stumped by the aerial adapter!

it looks to be quite a simple affair, a 4" long metal cylinder with male/female aerial plugs at each end, which obviously plug in between the aerial lead and the headunit, but there is also a random blue wire protruding from the cylinder. There is no matching wire coming from behind the dash with the aerial lead, so i would assume this lead can only be a power lead. i dont however want to hook it up wrong and fry the amp as i believe it is fitted to the aerial and you need to remove the headlining to get at it?

anyone fitted one of these before? radio reception is pretty poor without it.

xenon
18-01-2008, 05:43 AM
The blue wire you talk about needs to be connected to +12V when the radio is turned on. Usually it is connected to the rear of the head unit (pin 5 on an ISO connector). Usually labelled 'Power Antenna' sometimes also used for remote amp switching.

darkhorse1001
18-01-2008, 07:18 PM
great, thats all i needed to know. much appreciated.

mitster
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi, I have a VW polo 05 plate, and I am having problems with MW reception too after installing an alpine unit. I have been advised of several adapters, but I don;t know which one I need. I am not very experienced with this, so could you perhaps send me a picture on where the blue wire goes? and which adapter I need?

Your helps appreciated.
Thanks

Froggy
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Try one of these, you need to connect the flying lead to the switched electric aerial output from the Alpine Linky to picture (http://www.incarelectrics.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=718&numLanguageID=1)

mitster
07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your reply froggy

The black connector shown on the picture, plugs directly into the alpine head unit right? And the silver cylinder connects to an identical black connector (to the one in the picture connected to the tube) coming from the car?

If this is 100% correct, then I have found the right adapter, as I cannot see from the picture, what type of connector would go into the tube.

What would really help is if anyone has the pictures of connecting up the blue wire to the connector?

Thanks once again.

darkhorse1001
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
i don't know if a pic would really help as the location of the right pin is probably different on different model headunits. you should have a wiring diagram in the back of the manual though.

there should be a blank space in one of the plugs that goes onto the back of the headunit that corresponds to the right pin. put the connector from the flying lead (blue) from the adapter into the space on that plug.

youre right about the remaining two connections at the ends of the silver cylinder/black cable.

mitster
07-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your reply...
I have a diagram which was sent by nexia, they told me to connect it to power block positive 5 +12v, is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/More_Information/ISO_wiring.htm

Thanks

darkhorse1001
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
yeah, looks like the one to me.

mitster
16-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Finally fitted the PC5-52, I connected the blue wire to the blue/white cable that comes out from the back of the head unit, and it works perfectly. I looked for the ISO connection numbered 5, but that was already in use going to the back of my head unit.

Great advice guys, one guy quoted me £15 including the cost of adapter and fitting, and some guy also quoted me £25 for the same!!

However I purchased it of ebay for £8.50 and the advice of you guys, and job done.

many thanks for everyones help!