PDA

View Full Version : how to open jammed lock to fix it!

sensible
21-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi,
Anyone know how to open a locked door from inside the panel? Passenger door is locked and cannot be opened from inside, outside, remote etc.

Have door card a bit out of the way (cannot access front screw!) can see inner panel and the lock module but no obvious mechanical part to "pull" to release the lock.
Appreciate any help whatsoever! really stuck with this, wife complaining about having to climb over the shift everytime to get into the car. (02 Bora SE auto)
p.s. first problem in two years! had to be a biggie didn't it!
p.p.s Seems straightforward to repair/replace module once it is out but all posted links relate to doing the job with the door open!
Cheers

passatpal
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Sensible and All.

Have pretty much the same problem as you, Sensible (apologies for hijacking):

Front passenger door on 2002 Passat won't open from inside or outside!

Remote on that door been erratic lately ie, wouldn't work sometimes so I had to open with inside door lever. Now lever doesn't work and door won't open at all! Door seems dead electrically, it used to move the little button even when it didn't open the door, now nothing!

The inside door trim needs to come off to get at 'the works' - but that's impossible without getting to the torx screws underneath the door trim!

I have a horrible feeling I'll have 'attack' the door trim with saws and drills to get at the lock etc.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Cheers - PassatPal :beerchug:

hongkongstuey
13-07-2009, 09:51 AM
dunno if its the same on front doors, but i had rear door jam shut, removed handle screws and yanked the panel off, no more screws, that was a passat though, then it turned out to be cable had become dislodged on its mounting at interior handle, only by a small amount but enough to not give the cable a good run through to lock

passatpal
13-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks HongKongStuey,
I'll try removing the interior handle to see if I can 'spring' the panel open from the top, maybe just enough to get at the cable etc. What year is your Passat - mine's a 2002 estate.
Cheers

hongkongstuey
14-07-2009, 12:09 AM
mines 1999, had been broken by my ex's lad pullin on interior handle with child locks on, just enough to unlatch the securing piece

passatpal
14-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Sorry H, should have seen your vehicles details on your first message!
Not sure if I have child locks on the front passenger door. I'll go out and check the manual after breakfast. Cheers!

passatpal
26-07-2009, 12:10 PM
PassatPal update: Eureka! I discovered you can access the Torx screws at the bottom of the door trim, even though the door is jammed shut. Here's how we did it:

The Torx screws at the bottom of the trim/card are still just visible in the small gap between the door trim bottom and the cill - Squeeze a small screwdriver in that gap to undo those screws.

Then, having removed all other door handle screws/buttons etc, wind the window down and get a helper outside to assist as you 'work' the trim/card out from the dashboard end - at the same time pulling the whole trim upwards. You may break a clip but that can be replaced. The trim should now pull away with various wire/plugs attached. Unplug all the wires.

We were able then to get at the 'innards' of the jammed door. We had to break the lock open to release the door. It meant buying a new door lock, but there was no other way for us. Good luck!

Cheers - Bob :beerchug:

Dan Stobbart
23-09-2010, 08:50 AM
This is an old thread but I'll add my own 'fix' as it's so simple (at least to get the door open again if not to fix the source of the problem).

Face away from the door and use your bum to shove the door shut hard (bum means you're less likely to dent the door but be careful with this).

This has instantly enabled the door to open on a couple of occasions on different cars. It seems that the door wasn't shut hard enough to begin with causing some kind of freak jam of the mechanism. (it may be there is a more in depth fix / adjustment of the mechanism needed but I couldn't be bothered to go further !)