PDA

View Full Version : Are there problems with Crafters?

goli
17-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi guys, I have just registered as I have a problem that I can't seem to find an explanation to.

I own a few franchises at a large national carrier (single van franchises as opposed to depot franchises). I currently use some LT35's which do the job excellently and are far more reliable than the Mercedes Sprinters I used to use and the customer service is excellent as well.

I was in the proces of ordering a 6 month old Crafter when the company I hold the franchises at told me that a Crafter was unsuitable for the job due to "known" reliability problems - namely cutting out.
I have never heard of any major problems with VW vans and can't find a thing on this from googling, and I mean I can't find a bad review anywhere. The injector problems I had with Sprinter vans however were fairly well known.

I haven't had a chance to speak to the transport director yet (who has "spoken" to his contacts to get this info) or spoken to the dealership yet.

So has anyone heard of Crafter vans cutting out? Or any experience of any problems with the crafter?

Thanks for any insight.

Goli

puddick
09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
no problem with crafters cutting out. early models had problems with the dpf blocking up (manly because no one read the hand book) but other than that, not a bad van

CRAFTY CRAFTERS
16-04-2008, 06:08 PM
DON'T DO IT!

If you intend to operate the vehicle in the city then i would recommend the Sprinter from personal experience. The DPF fitted to the Crafter is truly a problem for my fleet and the DPF has only been a problem on the Crafters. As the previous post suggests, read the manual before... that would help if you could also manage to regenerate (40mph at 2000rpm+ for 10-15 minutes) not always possible! HASSLE HASSLE HASSLE!!! Choice is yours...

Bar DPF troubles they are a treat to drive (when on the road!)

vw workshop
08-07-2008, 12:30 AM
N/s Electric Window Switch's Are Common To Go Inop.dpf's Used To Be A Problem But Are Better Now With Latest Software.drivers Seat Belt Poor To Retract Unless Modified With Spacer.ignition Barrel Sometimes Go Inop.relay Plate Can Cause None Start,coolant Light Comes On If Not At 50% Antifreeze.dpf More Of A Problem If You Do Short,multidrop Urban Work (say 50 Two Mile Trips) Like Maybe A Courier Would Do-i Guess It Would Be A Real Pain Then.overall A Good Van.chassis Cabs Are A Bit Heavy And Fuel Consumption Isnt Great (better If Speed Limited As Per Merc Sprinter)

marco0909
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
brilliant van. im a courier around north tyneside . perfect for me. only one thing is the dp filter builds up. but u just burn it off by taking it for a 15 min drive on motorway at finish of day.

macvity
28-02-2011, 09:30 PM
hi guys.im in ireland.there is a guy that i know that can remove the pdf filter.is this good or not.he says it would be better on fuel without this filter.do you guys have any info on this.thanks

advancce
16-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Rust!!!!!!!