PDA

View Full Version : T4 Alternator belt problems!

lukeski99
17-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I have a T4 1.9 2001. The alternator belt keeps coming loose and squeeking. I have had the belt replaced twice in the last 14 months, and I have tightened the belt five or six time but it just keeps coming loose. The alternator does seem to be working ok. Any ideas or advise would be greatfully received.

lukeski99
28-01-2008, 05:29 PM
any ideas?

carbon
28-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I take it that this doesn't have a spring loaded tensioner like the 2.4's. Is it possible that a pulley is damaged or a mounting on the alternator is worn and the pullies are out of alignment as this would cause the belt to wear.

lostboy
29-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Is the spring and black cap in between the alternator lower face and brkt ?
As this should take all the slack out of the belt if any.
As previous poster has mentioned it shold be there , my 1995 1900 has one.

Jeff

lukeski99
29-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes there is a spring between the alternator and the bracket. However should the bolts that the alternator pivots on be permantely loose so the spring can automatically take the slack. At the moment I have to loosen the bolts then the spring open up a bit and I tighten them back up again. This does not last that long until it needs doing again!

lostboy
29-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Bolts should be tightened,after spring has taken out the slack.
Must admit the bolts on mine had locktight on them.

Jeff

JONBOY201
30-01-2008, 09:22 AM
hi luke, have you checked the alternator pulley? most of the new diesel's have a slipper clutch so when the engine is at idle & the alternator is not in a fixed drive this also stops belt slap at idle, with a small screwdriver on the cooling blades in the front of the alternator check to see if the alternator spins freely in one direction only, if it doesn't spin the you will need a new pulley. john