PDA

View Full Version : Need help changing coolant pipe!?

layerz
17-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Right, this water leak has been located but I need help changing the pipe that comes out of the bottom of the coolant sensor.
It is the pipe that goes from the cyclinder head into the water pump and oil filter/cooler.

It is an **** to get to and I wondered what I need to remove to get to it?

It is more the bit at the water sensor that will be an **** to get off, and back on again with a jubilee clip.

Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Crasher
17-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Which year and engine?

layerz
17-01-2008, 05:03 PM
It is a 1998 AFN tdi

Crasher
18-01-2008, 02:30 PM
If you mean the metal water transfer pipe, it runs from the heater down to the oil cooler and into the water pump. The coolant temp sender is in the plastic water housing on the head with a hose coming out that goes to the heater matrix.

layerz
18-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Ahh sorry not sure I explained ok above.

I know that pipe it is, and picking it up from Audi coventry in the morning.

It just looks like a pain to get to and wondered what needs removing to get to it from above? Or it is actually reachable from underneath the car?

Thanks, Lewis

layerz
19-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Just a follow up I got this changed finally!

It is not a huge job or complicated as such but alot needs to come off to get to stuff.
I removed the following and in places it was still a bit tight.
-Header tank
-Coolant return top hose
-Boost pipe to intercooler
-Fuel lines from fuel pump to injectors
And a few other bits, I hate spring clips with a passion now also!!! I replaced all the spring clips with jubilee clips. But the spring clip by the water pump was a nightmare!

The pipe was well and truley shot that came off and glad I replaced all 3 pipes.
I just had to bleed the fuel system when I started it again which took less then a mini.