PDA

View Full Version : Power window problem

erico
17-01-2008, 02:27 PM
My 1996 B4 Passat TDI 1.9l has a power window problem. The driver side goes up but will not close completely. It makes a clicking sound and jumps at the same rate when it nears the up closed position.

Opening the window works well. It goes down to the limit and turns off the window motor.

I removed the regulator/motor assembly from the door and looked it over. Upon removal of the Concentric washer, I noticed that the black rubber washer/bushing for the washer was bunched up and did not fit well on one part of the washer. Could this be what is causing the problem, rather than a faulty motor or motor control unit? :confused: Or could it be that the window mechanical assembly (can't remember the specific name for it..anyway it is the part that is attached to the motor and window) is faulty?

I found out the hard way that Brose and Siemens motors do not have interchangeable parts. I returned a Brose motor to the Breaker yard yesterday. The manual does not state which position the concentric washer has to be placed in when installing another motor. Does anyone happen to have that pearl of information?

Kev@KSport
16-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Did you get this sorted? as I have a simialr problem.

erico
17-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Did you get this sorted? as I have a simialr problem.
Yes..Sorted.

I replaced the mechanical portion of the window regulator. The window regulator motor was not the problem at all. A couple of the teeth on the regulator assembly had worn... that was the source of the noise and refusal to close completely.

I bought the window regulator at a dealership for @ €25. The window now rolls up and down without the irritating ratcheting sound. I also replaced the Outer window recess seal and the Inner window recess seal (both also dealer items and not too expensive).

My driver's side door now operates as new...no more water or air leaks (with the accompanying sound at highway driving speed). :D

Kev@KSport
18-04-2008, 11:26 PM

erico
19-04-2008, 09:25 AM
No worries :)

BTW...the wear on the teeth was not easily visible. The teeth felt rough to the touch in a couple of places near the end of travel.

When you remove the interior door panel after removing the Phillips screws use a jewelers screwdriver (@ 1/8" dia ) or so to push the plastic clip pins into the interior of the door and then retrieve them and then remove the clips. If you do not do it this was the black clips can easily become deformed and almost useless. There are no pictures of this in the manual. I was unable to buy new ones at the *******...so the clips that the interior cover is screwed to probably only available at the junkyard