PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk4 TDI 150 - Serious Problem??

JC150tdi
20-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

I've recently acquired my mk4 GT TDI 150 Golf with 100k on the clock and Full VW History. What a car, I love it and was hoping to keep it for at least a couple of years.

Anyway, the problem is this:

Starting from cold, the engine seems to be running on 3 cylinders and does sound bad almost as if it's knocking, but after 15-30 seconds it seems to running ok and will run fine until you switch off.
It is an intermittent fault as it will occasionally misfire when starting from warm and sometimes start fine from cold!!:confused:

My local garage ran a diagnostic check and no fault codes were present, however, they decided to remove the rocker cover and have told me that the camshaft is worn??

I find this hard to believe because surely if the camshaft was worn you would have the problem/ noise all the time not intermittently.

Can anyone help?:1zhelp:

kelpy
21-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Your local garage could be bang on PD engines run the injectors off the camshaft a friend of mine has a Sharan which had exact same problem took VW 6 weeks to diagnose camshaft but told him they replaced cylinder head when we checked all they had done was replace camshaft which cured the problem

JC150tdi
21-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I might take it to my local VW dealer to diagnose the problem in the hope that they can offer some goodwill for the repair. I've been told that they are aware of this problem, any idea how much it will cost at the main dealers?

Golfer7
23-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi, Certain Tdi engines suffer with camshafts wearing out prematurely mainly 130 & 150 bhp!
Other problems that I know of is modified control units for cold start problems, this is excessive rocking from engine from cold start (technical solution new control unit). Not as bad if you dip the clutch you notice it's not as bad.
If the camshaft is worn as your independent garage says you will need a new camshaft with shells and I'd advise new cambelt kit whilst your there.
Not cheap I'm affraid, for parts or labour, can't remember exact cost but you'd probably not get change from £8-£900!!
Sorry my friend, Good-luck
Golfer7

Golfer7
23-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Forgot to say, top of valves crack through top hydraulic lifters so replace these as well if camshaft is worn
Golfer7

lchris21
27-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeap,
I can confirm Golfer7's reply.
My 120,000 miler ate its tappets and cam.
Main ******* was chasing his tail, throwing money at the problem trying to diagnose the fault. A new pair of AA batteries in the mechanics torch might have helped.
Anyway, I did it myself in the end:
Check out the saga here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160046

JC150tdi
31-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your replys.

Got the car fixed, needed new camshaft, Buckets, Cam Bearings and put a new belt kit on whilst it was there.

Can't believe how worn the camshaft was!!

paulb
05-01-2007, 08:58 PM
this is a common problem with 150bhp pd engine,camshaft wears badly,all vw retailers are aware of this problem,if it has full dealler history see if you can get the dealler to get some goodwill from vw uk.

golf tdi 02
09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
hi if i can help drop me a line richardjones6902@hotmail.co.uk

keawe
04-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Hi, Certain Tdi engines suffer with camshafts wearing out prematurely mainly 130 & 150 bhp!
Other problems that I know of is modified control units for cold start problems, this is excessive rocking from engine from cold start (technical solution new control unit). Not as bad if you dip the clutch you notice it's not as bad.
If the camshaft is worn as your independent garage says you will need a new camshaft with shells and I'd advise new cambelt kit whilst your there.
Not cheap I'm affraid, for parts or labour, can't remember exact cost but you'd probably not get change from £8-£900!!
Sorry my friend, Good-luck
Golfer7

Hi, I have got my 2003 GOLF GT TDI 150 since Sep '07. which is 5 years and 1 month old now.
I have notice the excessive rocking is getting more and more serious at cold start. What you mention "Not as bad if you dip the clutch,you notice it's not as bad" just point out my problem EXACTLY. Would you suggest the Camshaft needs to be changed?? or you are actually pointing out the other porblem??
Thanks!!