PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Audi A4 : auto transmission problem

Felipe
17-01-2008, 02:21 AM
I have an 97 Audi A4 with automatic transmission. It has a problem when I accelerate the car. Basically, when I gradually accelerate the car, let's say from 0, the engine would run faster, as expected. But as the rpm of the car increases (as displayed in the dashboard) the transmission would not change gears at the right time, but it eventually changes gear when the rpm becomes exceedindly high. This situation happens in cars with manual transmission, when the driver does not change gears as the car's rpm reaches high levels.

So, it appears that my car has a delay problem with its auto transmission. I am wondering if it is fixable, and how it could be fixed?

I got the following suggestion from a friend:

"maybe the car needs a a trans fluid flush. Be careful to see if it uses synthetic fluid. I would also look to see if there was an adjustment of the kick down cable. If it has an electronic trans there maight be a download of new mapping for the trans...:

Could somebody elaborate this suggestion for me as well, particularly on the kick down cable.

Thank you.

AutoTDI
17-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I have a similar car, 97MY, 1.9TDI(110) + Auto box and have experienced a similar problem. However, I don't think the fault lies with the transmission, but with a faulty MAP sensor. This can have the effect of reducing power/torque fairly dramatically and thereby influencing gear changes. At least, that's my theory until someone tells me differently. In my case, I know the MAP sensor is faulty, via a VAG-COM scan and I'm just waiting for an opportunity to change it. I suggest you also do a scan for fault codes to see what comes up, before doing anything drastic with your transmission. Also, have a look at this thread: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18322