PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Beetle radio stuck, need to strip the dash but screws are behind radio!

gazhowell
16-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Hello,

I can't get the stereo out of my wife's Beetle, the VW dealer has also tried and can't do it. They say they need to strip the dash to do it.

I was thinking of having a go at this myself as they want 3.5hours labour to do it (£300!!).

I've been trying to find info on how to do it, and it seems there are some screws behind the stereo!!

How on earth can I fix this - any ideas?

Froggy
17-01-2008, 11:28 AM
They use a release key normally. If it's damaged and the springs have ended up stuck behind the dash then you are in big trouble I'm afraid.

Even with the dash stripped out, they can be a real pain to get out if the release springs are jammed. Sorry ...

gazhowell
17-01-2008, 11:46 AM
What would be great is if I could see a photo of the side of the radio and see how it clips into the rest of the car.

I'm thinking of stripping the centre trim (even though there are two screws behind the radio!!) and then I can see the side of the radio, well almost, hopefully.

I take it there are just two little clips that hook onto the dash trim somehow.

I wish I had x-ray vision to save me using my dremel and then finding out it can't be done :aargh4:

Froggy
17-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Don't hold your breath - but I'll see if I can find a unit to take a photo of for you.

gazhowell
17-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Much appreciated :fing02:

I'm trying to think about it logically, and there must just be a clip on each side and they clip into the mounting bracket in the dash, or maybe the dash trim itself. Surely these will be accessible from the outside as I can't see there being a sealed metal mounting bracket there.

If you can find some photos, then a photo of the inside of the gap would be great as well, as that's what I'll be accessing hopefully.

gazhowell
17-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Just found a replacement trim on eBay, it shows where it screws in behind the radio.

Can't really tell from that though where the radio cilps in or whether I'll be able to access it - it doesn't look like a sealed unit though, there is a gap just behind the screw holes from what I can tell.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5554/74331fx8.jpg

turbobugger
30-01-2008, 05:02 AM
I am trying to pull my radio out too. how to I take the faceplate off so I can unscrew those 2 screws! I tryed everything, I am scared of breaking the plastic and IM lucky it hasnt broke yet!

turbobugger
30-01-2008, 05:51 AM
NeverMind I found this information on google

You'll also need tools to remove the head unit. VW sells these, but I made my own by cutting down a hacksaw blade. Make two like this:
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\|
You push these into the slots with the pointy side toward the outside of the head unit. This will force the release clips inward and allow you to slide the unit out. Make sure you have the code before disconnecting power

gazhowell
30-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, sorry I thought it was a given that you need radio keys to take it out - what I actually meant in my post was that the keys weren't working.

I did manage to get it out though, I was all set to drill it out, had my power drill in hand and everything, but I thought I'd give it one more try with the keys and hey presto it just popped out!

The problem was that at the back of the headunit there is a rubber stopper that squeezes itself into a hole but it was really tight. All these goes of pulling it must have been gradually easing it out and luckily my final attempt was all that was needed - in the nick of time!

(I also noticed that the side spring clips aren't that great, it's very easy to put the keys in and the key actually goes under the spring clip and hence not working but you think it is)

turbobugger
30-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I made my own by cutting down a hacksaw blade. Make two like this:
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\|
You push these into the slots with the pointy side toward the outside of the head unit. This will force the release clips inward and allow you to slide the unit out. Make sure you have the code before disconnecting power

WELL IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME. I did have to use 3 hands and push in on the springs and pull the face plate off with a 3rd hand if that makes any sense. Its easy to work on 1 side at a time rather than both clips.