PDA

View Full Version : Passat 1996 1.9 TDI CRANKSHAFT TO CAMSHAFT QUESTION

jill300268
16-01-2008, 07:33 PM
HI CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION.

TIMING BELT OK .CRANKSHAFT TO CAMSHAFT OK .FUEL PUMP OUT ON TIMING ,
i have been told that the crankshaft pulley is at fault for this happening and if i drive the car its possible it would happen again. is this true if vw his right .the guy that fixed the car said that CRANKSHAFT TO CAMSHAFT TIMING WAS OK and said because these 2 lined up on the timing it was no really need to check the pulley is this true as he said if the crank pulley was out i would have thrown all the timing out .question why was the fuel pump out and how could this happen ,the guy as sorted my car out but for how long for .i need an expert advice to what i should do next vw as advised for the pulley to be checked but they also said that the pulley might have play on it, will this cost a lot of money to put right is this true ,or can the pulley be replaced what are my options here if any one as been in this situation before vw said scarp the car or get a replacement engine .but the car is runing better that ever it as .i have also been told not to use the car .due to it may return the same fault .but i am optimistic and i don't know who to believe and i feel i am being milked for more money .

THANKS JILL

jonathan_dyane
18-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Jill, my father has a Audi 80 TDI which has the same engine, and has just suffered the same problem.

What happens is that the pulley only moves a small amount, which does not significantly affect the cam timing as this is not so sensitive to a slight misalignment, but does affect the pump which is more sensitive to being out of timing.

The fact is that if the crank pulley is moving it will be damaging the end of the crankshaft, which will ultimately kill the car...

If I were you I would book the car in immediately to an independent garage to remove the pulley and check for damage. If you have a brand new pulley fitted with bearing lock compound it *should* solve the problem provided the crank isn't too badly damaged.

If however, you do nothing, the damage will become severe, and you will quickly need another engine...

Jonathan.