PDA

View Full Version : NO DIGITAL READ OUT ON MILEOMETER

GRAHAM.C
19-10-2006, 10:09 PM
HI FOLKS,
CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE.I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED AN AUDI A4 110 TDI 1996 MODEL,BUT OVER THE PAST 2 MONTHS SINCE HAVING THE CAR I HAVE FOUND THAT I AM UNABLE TO READ THE MILE COUNTER.HAVE NOTICED THAT IF THE SUN IS SHINING DIRECTLY ON THE DASHBOARD THEN I CAN FAINTLY MAKE OUT WHAT THE READING IS.IT IS NOT A MAJOR PROBLEM,BUT MAY BE A PROBLEM WHEN THE M.O.T. IS DUE AND THE EXAMINER WANTS TO KNOW THE MILEAGE.
ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

adamss24
19-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Its the backlight of the digital display but its a pain in the butt to get to it. Bassicly you have to take the clocks out, dismantle to small bits and then replace the blown bulb with a new one from Maplin. Make shure they will give you 12v automotive miniature-wire-ended-red bulbs.They will need soldering. I remember doing that to my old a6 and never had a problem after that. Get a Haynes manual from Halfords as they will be 20 quid well spent. The speedo/clocks will come off without taking the steering wheel but its verry fidlly to get to the conectors round the back, but doable. The conectors are colour coded and you can get them wrong as they different sizes. Mind the safety catch each has as need lifting and after that the conectors just slide easy out. Take lots of pics with a digital camera as they will help putting back toghether. Be verry carefull with the indicators needles. Hope this helps. Dedicate a few hours for that, best to do in a weekend. You will also need some safety torx bits and a screwdriver.

GRAHAM.C
20-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Its the backlight of the digital display but its a pain in the butt to get to it. Bassicly you have to take the clocks out, dismantle to small bits and then replace the blown bulb with a new one from Maplin. Make shure they will give you 12v automotive miniature-wire-ended-red bulbs.They will need soldering. I remember doing that to my old a6 and never had a problem after that. Get a Haynes manual from Halfords as they will be 20 quid well spent. The speedo/clocks will come off without taking the steering wheel but its verry fidlly to get to the conectors round the back, but doable. The conectors are colour coded and you can get them wrong as they different sizes. Mind the safety catch each has as need lifting and after that the conectors just slide easy out. Take lots of pics with a digital camera as they will help putting back toghether. Be verry carefull with the indicators needles. Hope this helps. Dedicate a few hours for that, best to do in a weekend. You will also need some safety torx bits and a screwdriver.
Thanks very much for your help.Where did you say that I can puchase bulbs?Who are Maplin?Do you think I could get one from my local VW/AUDI dealer.

Boardboy
20-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Maplins site here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Sub_Category.aspx?Menu=3&doy=20m10

Regards Boardboy