PDA

View Full Version : A3 FAN PROBLEMS

princesssarah
19-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi Guys, Ive registered on here as Im looking for a bit of advice.
I own a A3 S Line 2004. Last week when I went to got to work my battery was flat. I rang my husband and he jumped started it but noticed that the electric fan was staying on permantley. I rang Audi who explained that this is a common fault and so common in fact that the parts needed are on a three week back order.
I have spoken to customer service who are off little help, I explained that I am hiring a car now for work and I cannot have my car off the road for a month. Their response is that it is a very common fault, hence the delay.
Has anybody else had experience of the fan staying on until it runs the battery down? I just cant believe and organisation as big as Audi cannot supply its customers-especialy if it is such a common fault. I dont know much about product recalls but if the problem is a big as this surely it should be recalled?

Sarah x

Boardboy
19-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi Sarah
Some one with the same problem here : http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2041&highlight=flat+battery

It could be a faulty switch in the radiator or there is a radiator fan control unit that could be the problem.
You could remove the fuse every time you have parked it until you get it fixed. It's a bit of a pain. It's in the fuse box on top of the battery.

Regards Boardboy

jo_sal77
22-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi Guys, Ive registered on here as Im looking for a bit of advice.
I own a A3 S Line 2004. Last week when I went to got to work my battery was flat. I rang my husband and he jumped started it but noticed that the electric fan was staying on permantley. I rang Audi who explained that this is a common fault and so common in fact that the parts needed are on a three week back order.
I have spoken to customer service who are off little help, I explained that I am hiring a car now for work and I cannot have my car off the road for a month. Their response is that it is a very common fault, hence the delay.
Has anybody else had experience of the fan staying on until it runs the battery down? I just cant believe and organisation as big as Audi cannot supply its customers-especialy if it is such a common fault. I dont know much about product recalls but if the problem is a big as this surely it should be recalled?

Sarah x

Hi A3 driver! Yes, I have the same trouble too (same A3 S-line)! And it's really pished me off!! I've already spent 100 quid on a new battery, I sent my car off to the dealer a couple of months ago and they couldn't identify the fault at all, yet charged me 60 quid for them to look at it. :zx11:

I would like to know how they have fixed yours and what was the damage to your bank?? lol. :1zhelp:

All the best...

Jon!

pob
25-11-2007, 12:21 AM
My 53 plate A3 2.0 TDI Sport had the same problem, although it never ran the battery down. Don't know anything about a back order as my dealer had it fixed same day and it hasn't done it since.

lameck banda
16-01-2008, 03:28 PM
hi guys. I've just registered on this forum. i have just experienced the some problem. i have an a3 2004 fsi. my funs can't go off. we don't have dealers where i live. we depend on dealer in south Africa, over 2000 km away. please let me know how you have sorted out your car.

Boardboy
17-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I mentioned in a previous post about the fan switch. Just had a similar problem with my girlfriends Golf. The fan run on and wouldn't stop. I replaced the switch and sorted the problem.

Regards Boardboy

D&S
02-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi Boardboy,
I am experiencing this problem on my A3, can you tell me which switch you replaced and where this is located?
Thanks Dave

pan_fried
28-10-2010, 05:57 PM
http://www.importeccatalog.com/searchitem.epc

Rung Audi in U.K and say they will charge £89 per hour to put on machine...then they will fix it!!! :mad:. So been trawling the net and no one on here seems thave a pic of this fan switch. hopefully the link works, believes that i need to change.

Drivers side fan remains on when engine is off, have to discon battery.

Looked for advice for where to find...not a mechanic....so as u open the bonnet and look into the confusion. 53 plate 2.0 tdi audi a3 sport. look deep into the left hand side and nxt to the fan, drivers side near bottom, is the switch, doesnt look like a switch :p attached to the top of a pipe. may need to get under car to undo bolt a bit but then u can put hand in through top to get it off.

Hope this helps

>>>>>>>>>>>>heres where people say NO that isnt the switch! lol but owell everything points to it, and have checked part number and it matched

1J0959126....and if it is right. i may have saved a load of wonga!!!:beerchug: Need to get part and fit it now, but hopefully works and if so will repost....if not then it dint wrk lol