PDA

View Full Version : 140bhp or 170bhp, what to go for

Tarks
16-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi,

New member here, currently got an 06 A3 Sprtback 2.0tdi 140 Sport and love it. The time has come to replace the car (the miles are now at 65k), and I've got it down to either a 140bhp s-line with a few extras or a 170bhp s-line, with prob no extras (although these are more nice to haves than essentials for me), so question is what are the main differences, is the extra power/torque usable on a fwd car? what is the power like in real life situations such as overtaking, not 0-60 dashes which I never do.

Any help appreciated and test drive booked for next weekend

Thanks,

Chris

prolfe
17-01-2008, 09:31 PM
try and get both, one for the morning and one for the afternoon.

The 170 in everyday use is wonderful.

Third, fourth, fifth and sixth gears are all great. 3rd and 4th especially.

See this reproduced Autocar data for the 170:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19776

some everyday figures:

30-70 7.6
30-50 3.1/4.5
50-70 4.7/5.8

compare that to a 320d:

30-70 7.8
30-50 3.7/5.7
50-70 7.2(5th)

or the R32

30-70 5.7
30-50 3.3/4.3
50-70 5.8(5th)

janvkn
18-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm currently facing the same dilemma: a well specced 140bhp A3 Sport with some nice extras (satnav, nice alloys) or 170bhp A3 with the essential options but no satnav and with the standard 17" wheels.

@prolfe: impressive figures but I'm also wondering about refinement and driveability. How do the 140bhp and 170bhp versions compare in that respect? Having driven a few in the past, I know that the 140bhp version is a bit rough as far as diesels go and this has tempted me to go the 120D or 318D way, but the Audi is just a much better overall package. Is the 170bhp version better/the same/worse?

@Tarks: keep us posted on the test drive :)

prolfe
18-01-2008, 12:16 PM
The 140 and 170 are pretty similar in terms of engine noise.

You really just have to get in one and drive about for an hour or so though.

Then you'll want one.

I would say that you don't get all that soot stuff come out the back when accelerating, unlike the 140 or most other diesels.

The A3 is a quiet car. It's refined. It's designed beautifully.

It make me Smillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle

:)

janvkn
18-01-2008, 12:40 PM
The 140 and 170 are pretty similar in terms of engine noise.
That's ok then :)

You really just have to get in one and drive about for an hour or so though.Don't think I will get the opportunity to get a testdrive in the 170bhp before I have to order. It's a company car, and I'm nearing max mileage on my current car so I'll have to make my decision sometime next week. Guess I'll have to decide if I prefer extra performance, or some more toys. (atm I'm leaning towards performance :D)

I would say that you don't get all that soot stuff come out the back when accelerating, unlike the 140 or most other diesels.Ah yes, it has the particle filter right? Straight exhaust pipes too?

The A3 is a quiet car. It's refined. It's designed beautifully.
It make me Smillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle
:)No argument there, I've driven a few before (105bhp and 140bhp version) and they were all really nice. Like I said: a really good overall package, even if the engine isn't as smooth as a BMW's.

prolfe
18-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't notice that the engine is not smooth. I think it is smooth.

Sure when starting in the morning it is noisy. But when you're driving about it isn't.

I had a 125bhp crappy laguna that was pants.

then drove the 140 Golf, Leon and A3. Then i drove the 170 :biglaugh:

I know i would of regretted the 140.

The only visual difference is the straight twin Chrome exhausts.

De-badge it and it now could be a 1.8TFSI, 2.0TFSI or even a 3.2 Quattro.

And the speed once you've got going is pretty similar and better than the above.

And you'll do 41mpg. or take it easy and do about 50mpg. or give it some stick and do about 36mpg

The mpg for the 170 i better in the A3 than the A4. people are struggling to hit 40mpg in their A4's.

here's mine:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=261&size=big&cat=529

janvkn
18-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't notice that the engine is not smooth. I think it is smooth.
I didn't say it wasn't smooth, it's just a fact that the BMW's diesels are smoother these days ... Have a drive in a 320D or 120D sometime and compare :)

I had a 125bhp crappy laguna that was pants.I believe you :) A couple of years ago, I had to drive a Scenic for a week or two. Worst Car Ever...

De-badge it and it now could be a 1.8TFSI, 2.0TFSI or even a 3.2 Quattro.De-badging's not really my thing, as it's usually done to hide the fact that the car has a low performance engine and the 2.0TDI isn't.

The mpg for the 170 i better in the A3 than the A4. people are struggling to hit 40mpg in their A4's.Makes sense, as the A4 is the heavier car. Mind you, this is something that can vary a lot from one car to the next: I've had 2 A4's with the 1.9TDI in a row (exact same spec), and my 2nd one was about 10% thirstier than my first.

here's mine:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=261&size=big&cat=529Nice car! I'm looking to get the 3 door myself, because I don't need rear doors ;) What wheels are those btw?

prolfe
18-01-2008, 07:37 PM
de-badging: You're not keen on the stealth like approach then.

The wheels are the standard Sport Alloys - not to be confused with the 5-arm 18" they do.

They were new for 2007.

I noticed that you can also get them on the Q7 but obviously in a larger size 20"

The A4 is only 70kg heavier which surprised me, i thought it would be a lot heavier.

The 320d is probably one of the best diesels you can get. Not that I would swap mine for one.

The 170 TDI in either the Golf, A3 or Octavia is pretty rare, keep an out for one.

The 5 door is only £500 more.

Oh by the way, the standard stereo is excellent. Parking is a doddle as it's a small hatch. The iPod adapter is great, although you get no track names. The 17" 225/45's are an easier ride than the very firm 18" 225/40's.

janvkn
19-01-2008, 10:43 AM
The wheels are the standard Sport Alloys - not to be confused with the 5-arm 18" they do.

They were new for 2007.
Oh ... I didn't know there were new standard alloys for 2007. I assumed I would get these (http://www.jautomobile.com/documents/photo/BIG_20070620083017.jpg) as standard. I obviously prefer yours...

The 320d is probably one of the best diesels you can get. Not that I would swap mine for one.Hmm, if it was in a decent spec, I might. But my budget doesn't stretch that far :)

The 5 door is only £500 more.
Yes I know, and in leasing (it's a company car) there is virtually no difference in price. But: I have always had a slight preference for the 3 door version, and this month here in Belgium we get free leather interior on the 3 door and there are discounts on other options as well, so with the same budget I can get a lot more kit in the 3 door version. The discounts are because of the European Motor Show (http://www.salonauto.be/public/?lang=EN) that's currently going on in Brussels. Oh, and the 3 door is 40kg lighter too :D

Oh by the way, the standard stereo is excellent. Parking is a doddle as it's a small hatch. The iPod adapter is great, although you get no track names. Good to know. Is the iPod adapter standard, or an option? (Don't remember seeing it in the options list)

The 17" 225/45's are an easier ride than the very firm 18" 225/40's.I assumed as much. I currently have an A4 with 17" wheels and sports suspension, it doesn't have to get firmer than that.

Btw, it sounds like you're really happy with your car :)

prolfe
19-01-2008, 01:55 PM
ipod adapter is an option £175 factory fitted or £100 yourself.

I am really really happy with it.

prolfe
19-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Someone asked me the other month "do you get bored of that?"

I asked what and he replied "the punch in the back every time you go through the gears"

Of course I don't get bored of it. It makes for easy safe overtaking.

janvkn
21-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Someone asked me the other month "do you get bored of that?"

I asked what and he replied "the punch in the back every time you go through the gears"

What kind of person would ever get bored of that? :confused:

Of course I don't get bored of it. It makes for easy safe overtaking.As good an excuse as any ... ;)

engineermk
21-01-2008, 03:39 PM
ipod adapter is an option £175 factory fitted or £100 yourself.

I am really really happy with it.

I'm really not too happy with it. I have the factory ipod adaptor and it's fuctionality is poor; only the first five play lists, no track info, etc... umm, thats poor value at £175.

prolfe
21-01-2008, 05:33 PM
What kind of person would ever get bored of that? :confused:

As good an excuse as any ... ;)

safe overtaking is a good one i thought. i couldn't of put that it pulls like a train from 50 to 145.

;)

janvkn
25-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Update: I didn't go for an A3 after all, I wanted to order the 170bhp version but it got vetoed because the CO2 emissions are higher than what our company car policy allows :( (157gr/km > 145gr/km)

So instead I turned to the "dark side" and went for the BMW 120D coupé with 177bhp and much better CO2 emissions. Not to everyone's tastes here I'm sure ;), but it will be something different after 5 years of driving Audis.

paul b
25-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Boooo!... Just kidding!

paul b
25-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Its alright, it could have been worse, you could have bought a Mercedes!

Tarks
30-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Test drove the 170bhp this weekend, just placed an order for a A3 2.0tdi 170 S Line in black with black styling pack, heated leather, ipod connection, rear parking sensors and multi function steering wheel. Estimated delivery end March / April.

janvkn
30-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Test drove the 170bhp this weekend, just placed an order for a A3 2.0tdi 170 S Line in black with black styling pack, heated leather, ipod connection, rear parking sensors and multi function steering wheel. Estimated delivery end March / April.
Congrats with the new car :) Hope you got a good discount though, as there's a facelift coming soon for the A3.

Tarks
30-01-2008, 05:43 PM
It's a company lease car so they get a standard discount rate.

When is the facelift due as i didn't know about that. Wouldn't effect anything as my current A3 is up anyway

janvkn
30-01-2008, 06:32 PM
It's a company lease car so they get a standard discount rate.

When is the facelift due as i didn't know about that. Wouldn't effect anything as my current A3 is up anyway
Well I would have gotten free leather and some other freebies, on top of the fleet discount rate (if I had been allowed to choose the A3 that is).

The new model should be introduced on week 20 of 2008 according to my info.

Tarks
31-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately I haven't managed to find a dealer willing to give any additional discount as the lease company already get 11%. The car has full leather and all the extras I want, I still had £7 a month to spend, but the more extras on, the more tax I pay. Was not interested in any other options. I did manage to get a dealer to throw in a Tom Tom though, so order is being placed with him and I am very happy.

BAT
31-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I've got the 170bhp - lovely car to drive when it's running! It's only 7 weeks old and been towed away twice already. The diesel particulate filter keeps blocking even though I do 40+ miles to work and back each day. Also, I'm only getting on average 36 mpg. Has anyone else had the same problem?

dubcruiser
31-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I would say that you don't get all that soot stuff come out the back when accelerating, unlike the 140 or most other diesels.

You shouldn't get any smoke from the 170ps as it has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which is why it can have the straight Chrome tailpipes fitted.

prolfe
01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
You shouldn't get any smoke from the 170ps as it has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which is why it can have the straight Chrome tailpipes fitted.

That is what I put. :confused:

prolfe
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I've got the 170bhp - lovely car to drive when it's running! It's only 7 weeks old and been towed away twice already. The diesel particulate filter keeps blocking even though I do 40+ miles to work and back each day. Also, I'm only getting on average 36 mpg. Has anyone else had the same problem?

If you're getting 36mpg on average then your car is not running right.

I'm on 41mpg over 28k.

The DPF light has come on twice since i had the car, it was probably cos i was doing 5-15mph around Whipsnade Zoo. 15-20 minutes of driving above 2000 revs sorts it out.

My engine light came on the other day and went back out after a couple of hours - this caused the mpg to be horrendous though.