PDA

View Full Version : Adding Xenons to a 2006 A6

PAH
19-10-2006, 01:44 PM
I slightly regret not getting the Xenon headlights on my 2006 A6 when I bought it. I have seen many aftermarked Xenon kits, complete with ballasts etc., and have considered getting one of these.

However, I have heard stories that they upset the "blown bulb" detection on the car, and detail an error.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks, Paul

gazza57
08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I own an Audi A6 with conventional lights and indeed considered upgrading mine to have Xenon headlamps. But as you've been told, it's not as simple as that...
The change will upset the lamp failure detection circuitry as Xenon lamps do not have a filament, they contain Xenon gas which glows brightly when ionised rather like a flourescent lamp.
The A6 lamp failure detection circuitry works by detecting the volt drop which occurs across the filament lamp, when the filament burns out, the volt drop disappears and the systems warns you on the dash.
As far as the detection circuitry is concerned, installation of xenon gas filled lamps will register as failed lamps on the warning system.
Have you considered buying more efficient conventional lamps (make sure lamp wattage is the same), this may be less hassle in the long run.

PAH
08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your reply, but I have found a manufacturer that gets over this problem. I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting a link, but it is in the general interest of Audi drivers here.

These are quite a lot more expensive than the ones you'll find on e-bay, but will definitely work, without problems on a 2006 A6. I will be placing my order this afternoon, so will let you know how I get on with them.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=45

Regards

Paul