PDA

View Full Version : Mk 3 Diesel Cam belt change

johnnie
19-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Hiya,
Please whats the rcommended interval for the above. The garage who serviced my car prior to me owing it state every 80k. I hope its true!

Thanks
johnnie

adamss24
19-10-2006, 07:30 PM
1. ENGINES WITH MANUAL TENSIONER. VW Recommend: AAZ/1Y engine- check and adjust or replace every 20.000 miles. ABL/1X engine: check and adjust or replace if necessary every 20.000 miles. REPLACEMENT EVERY 80.000 MILES. 1Z engine: check condition and width every 10000 miles or 12 months, wichever occur first(replacement width 20mm). Check adjustment every 20.000 miles. REPLACEMENT EVERY 60.000 MILES. TENSIONER PULLEY MUST ALSO BE REPLACED. THE PREVIOUS USE AND SERVICE HISTORY MUST ALSO BE TAKEN INTO ACOUNT.
2. ENGINES WITH AUTOMATIC TENSIONER. VW RECOMEND: Engine code AAZ- check and adjust or replace every 20.00 miles. NO MANUFACTURER RECOMENDED INTERVAL !!! Engine code 1Z/AFN/AHU/ALE/AVG -check condition and width every 10.000 miles or 12 months, wichever occur first(replacement width 22mm). REPLACEMENT EVERY 60.000 MILES, TENSIONER PULLEY MUST ALSO BE REPLACED. THE PREVIOUS USE AND SERVICE HISTORY SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT. As a thumb rule, i would replace a timing belt with normal use every 50.000 miles/5 years with tensioners/pulley/water pump. If the car had lots of stop/starts and stays a lot in traffic or used for short jurneys the replacement time would be considerably shorter. I would do it at 40.000 miles including tensioners +pulleys/water pump. If the history is not clear/accurate change it ASAP. Timing belts should last easilly 50-60 k but REMEMBER THAT 60-70% OF THE CAMBELT FAILURES HAPPEN SHORTLY AFTER A TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT AND DRIVING STYLE /CONDITION VARRY CONSIDERABLLY .

johnnie
20-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Cheers adam,
I checked the engine no. its a 1Y 611 . The belt was changed at 61k by an approved audi vdub garage, she just clocked 100k and they said change at 140k, but he also said that he would have an oil change at 6months / 5k intervals, especially if its doing short, stop start runs.

Thanks again. johnnie

PS How do you check them? as the mechanic said that the visual condition wasnt neccessarily a reflection on the condition of the internal webbing.:beerchug: