PDA

View Full Version : new member in need of help - Coolant hungry Touran

golftouran
18-10-2006, 04:53 PM
hello everyone, i've just joined and am in need of a little help,

I've a 2004 2.0 tdi touran which has started to use coolant...... no problems with the head gasket or water pump...... so I don't know how it's getting into the cylinders and being burned.....has anyone any past experience of these symptoms please before i dump it at the dealer again.... as it's had a new starter motor and flywheel 2 weeks ago so it's looks like it wants to go back to VW again

any advice would be appreciated please.

Simon.Barrand
18-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I've had the same thing happen on my 2000 golf tdi. But as yet still can't find out what the problem is. If you do take it back to the dealer and they find out what is wrong, please let me know!!!

golftouran
18-10-2006, 09:32 PM
oh dear ..... doesn't sound good..... and mine drinks the stuff if it's driven hard..... it's under warrenty still so they need to find out whats wrong with it......

is the turbo water cooled.?

ukvwsharan1998
28-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Not sure if this is the same as the 2.5tdi transporters we had 3 of them as flat bed recovery vehicles in my last job after a new clutch(and fly wheel) it drank watcher we found out that VW DEALER managed to fit 1 bolt incorrectly and it put a very small hole in the water jacket so the leak was unidentifiable but there was water loss.and worse still the metal is so thin and soft it was near impossible to tell something was wrong....just thought it may be worth thinking about??????

We only fond the leak when a few drips of water came out the bolt hole on removing the gearbox again for the next clutchand flywheel

golftouran
29-01-2007, 12:45 PM
dealer had it in for a service and saild there was nothing wrong after tests....usual first time complaint crap......

so irang them up a week later...... and they said they would like the car for 3 days to investigate.......

Low and behold...... stripped it and found a cracked head.....

they then replaced the whole engine.... block and head complete.......... problem solved!

ukvwsharan1998
29-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Well mi glad you got it all sorted out in the end but i have have 2 admit i did suspoect damage some place thats why i told you about the jater jacket thing ,as with a good head gasket i couldnt see where the water would be going with no puddle!
well a while of no car but at least you now have a brand new motr in your car hope this one serves you better.
also reason for complete engine is 1/saves them a bundle of time and cost rebuilding one
2/ hopefully means there should be no problems with this one
3/ saves them a ramp and with any luck u get some reliablity now!

golftouran
29-01-2007, 05:02 PM
not missed a beat since..... restored my faith in VW as it has been destroyed by all the recalls we had on the fleet .... flywheels door seals engine parts etc and then this problem......one good thing though..... biught the car in Lux save a bucketload on the UK price...... had the flywheel and starter motor changed in france and a new engine in the UK and no questions asked.....:beerchug:

RickT
29-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

RickT