PDA

View Full Version : Audi 2.0 tdi advice?

audi bwoy
15-01-2008, 03:34 PM
hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a a4 2.0 tdi s line 140bhp i think, just wondered if there is anything to look out for? what are the trouble area's? any turbo/injector issues?
what are the real life mpg figures and whats the performance like?
is it best to get a manual or auto?

also do these cars respond effectively after remapping and what gains can you see....

thinking of buying a 05-55 plate with about 60-70k miles, leather. etc...
how much should i pay?

cheers

prolfe
15-01-2008, 07:18 PM
the engine is great and feels a lot quicker than it's claimed 0-60 but it's through the gears that you notice the acceleration the most.

The MultiTronic is less fuel efficient but the S-Tronic is more fuel efficient.

MultiTronic is like a normal Automatic

S-Tronic is Audi's DSG Dual Clutch Automatic. (conventional, sequential and paddle shift)

The S-Tronic gearbox will also make it quicker 0-60.

You can't get the A4 with quattro and S-Tronic as they don't make it which is a real shame.

There is a Remap on the 10th of Feb that ChipNSpin is organising. You should expect the bhp to go from 140 to about 185 i believe. Check with him as he's done loads.

see here:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22860

As for 05/55 plate 140 TDI's.

£16,900 for a nov 2006 140 SE with 10k - no leather in Watford
£16,995 for a May 2005 140 S-Line with 38k with leather in Halesowen
£16,995 for a Sep 2006 140 S-Line with 10k with Leather - in Canterbury

This is direct from Audi.

STAGMAN
16-01-2008, 08:46 AM
The A4 is only available with Multitronic (CVT). Mine is very smooth and quiet, no harsh diesel noises that I had with a manual A3. or limited power band. Fast acceleration, overall comsumption of 36MPG over 21.000 miles. Mid-high 40s on a run.

GH20TDI
16-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Mine is a manual 140, done about 40k miles and overall average is 40 - 42mpg - we live in London and mostly drive round where we live (wife does most of the town miles and has a lighter right boot than me), but drive out to Sussex or Buckinghamshire once to three times a month. Motorway consumption is around 55mpg at 70 - 75mph, 45 at 95 mph (obviously I know this from driving on the continent!). On one journey back from Bucks, me driving but heavy flowing traffic we had 62mpg door to door over about 60 miles (average speed was around 50mph)!

Only comment I would make is that the engine is incredibly lumpy (turbo on/off like a switch) with small throttle movements, particularly noticeable in 1st and 2nd, but fine in other gears. This may be less noticeable / not apparent in multitronic, and you do get used to it, but it can still catch me out.

Performance is pretty good, particularly on motorways in 6th. I would go for the SE everytime with Audi (especially on a lower powered car) as the S-Line suspension is seriously stiff.

Good luck with your search.

prolfe
16-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Seems that indeed the newer A4's don't come with the brilliant DSG.

Just the CVT based MultiTronic and the TipTronic - but only on a couple of engines.

audi bwoy
18-01-2008, 11:14 AM
thanks for the replies. :beerchug:

the performance is putting me off, as i am not sure whether to go auto or manual yet... as i know the auto boxes can cause problems. anyone had any yet?

Also i would like to get the S line as they look very nice, but the suspension is putting me off.

I will hopefully be buying a private one with about 60kish on the clock. Is there much to look out for at this mileage?