PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor

schteeeeveeee
15-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I have an A3 1.6 Sport 2001. When I start the engine, it sounds like a starter motor 'running on' noise. This only really happens from cold as you'd expect and is less noisy after the car has been running, then killed and then restarted. Is this anything to be concerned about immediately or not?

A3.20vt
17-01-2008, 11:57 PM
If it’s just a chattering noise after start up, as in like just for a second or two after start up then it probably does mean that the starter is on it’s way out, but they’re pretty solid. Mine did that when I brought it (which helped me knock a few squids off) and it’s progressively getting worse but it’s been doing it for over 30k now and still hasn’t given up. . . If it’s a bit more than that then it’s probably be imposs to diagnose over the net.

schteeeeveeee
18-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the reply vt! :biggthump

I had a mate listen to it, n he suggested that the starter motor was 'sticking' and may be due to the car being stood a while, and possibly could free up over time, however, Im a little concerned on the possible slight strain that it may cause on other individual parts of the engine so Im havin her looked over monday so hopefully it will be sorted out.

loki
23-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Mine did a simialr thing, grinding noise for a couple of seconds when I started it. It was the starter motor sticking, it was removed, cleaned and lubed and does it less. Only way to really get rid of the noise completely is to replace, I didn't bother as it's not that annoying or frequent now.

schteeeeveeee
24-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks loki. I hope I have similar results when I finally manage to get to the garage..

:beerchug: