PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 2.0 petrol temp problem

rigy
15-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Hello

I m have just joined this forum, and already i m looking for some help.

I have an Audi A4 2.0 petrol 51 plate. I have had the temp sender replaced in the last 3 months because the temp gauge was not moving and this solved the problem and the car ran at 90'C as normal. However in the last week the gauge has started playing games again, it is working this time but it only gets up to about 55'C - 60'C when driving in traffic. If i leave the can running when parked it gets to 70'C - 80'C.

Any ideas, i have been told that it maybe that the thermastat is stuck open, if so how bigger job is it to replace and is it costly.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Rigy.

audipersempre
15-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Thermostat seems likely. You can check by waiting until the engine is stone cold. Start it up and feel the radiator hoses. If they gently warm up almost immediately along with the engine the thermostat is stuck open. If they remain cold for some time then heat up quite quickly the thermostat is probably OK.

Cheap to buy (not sure exactly how much it has been so long since I had to buy one!) not sure about fitting on the A4 but can't imagine it is difficult.

Hope this helps.

rigy
15-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks Steve

I m off to give it a try now, will elt eveyone know how i get on.

regards

Rigy

golf tdi 02
15-01-2008, 08:17 PM
hello and welcome to the forum
:beerchug::beerchug:

rigy
16-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Thankyou golf tdi 02.

I m now even more puzzled about my cars problem, because when i was going home last night my car reached 90'C and sat there quite happily until i turned on the climate control to keep warm, then the temp plummeted climate off temp went back to 90'C. I know the fan only kicks in when the climate control is on but can it really make that much difference, and should it?

I ve tried Steve's test on the rad pipes and the thermastat is working. So this one has got me. Any more ideas anyone?

regards

Rigy