PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.9TDI 110 Loss of power

Dreamweaver
18-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi - I have a 1996 A4 TDI 110 with a respectable 192k on the clock which has until now performed perfectly. It has developed loss of power when accelerating hard or under load. It also blows dense black smoke while accelerating hard.

I have someone with diagnostic equipment have a look and he tells me that the MAF sensor is showing a fault. He says that he 'thinks' the MAF sensor is part of the engine management unit on this car.

I understand the MAF sensor monitors manifold pressure and if so would be connected via some pipework to the MAF sensor. Could it be that this pipework could be faulty and is there a reliable way of testing it?

Can anyone confirm the location of the MAF sensor on my car? The engine # is AFN073790 and the chassis # is WAUZZZ8DZTA323297

If the engine management unit is faulty can anyone recommend someone who can carry out reliable repairs?

Thanks - Dreamweaver

adamss24
18-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, you have a airmass meter(MAF). Get a genuine one as they last longer. Also get the intake manifold off and EGR valve and clean them well with carb cleaner(soak them overnight) so when it all put toghether you will think its a new car. Its a DIY job really if you could spare a weekend and love some grease on your hands and be satisfied with a job well done. Buy yourself a few pints and your missus a bunch of flowers with the spare cash !!! Just kidding.

The Sandman
18-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Where is the intake manifold and the EGR valve ??

onzarob
18-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Get a haynes manual form halfords, it will explain all. But for reference looking from the front of the car at the angine, the MAF is by your left hand just behind the headlight. You will see a cable pugged into the top of it and tube going to one side of the turbo charger

:D

GRAHAM.C
19-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes, you have a airmass meter(MAF). Get a genuine one as they last longer. Also get the intake manifold off and EGR valve and clean them well with carb cleaner(soak them overnight) so when it all put toghether you will think its a new car. Its a DIY job really if you could spare a weekend and love some grease on your hands and be satisfied with a job well done. Buy yourself a few pints and your missus a bunch of flowers with the spare cash !!! Just kidding.
Yes I agree with you 100% about cleaning the manifold and E.G.R. valve I had my manifold off a few weeks ago and found it really clogged up,I cleaned it out the best that I could as a temp measure as I needed the car the next day but will have to do the job properly on a free weekend.What would you think the best degreaser would be?do you think soaking it in junk overnight would do the job.

adamss24
19-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Carb cleaner works a treat, also i found that celulose based paint thinner works a treat and it comes in big 1 gallon can available from a automotive paint mixing shop,about 10-15 pounds and whith whats left light a barbeque !. Put some in a big container made out from glass or metal and let it soak overnight. Also get some cheap brushes to work all the crannies.