PDA

View Full Version : Vento rear suspension knock

Fourbears
17-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Here's a puzzler! My 95 Vento TD rides really smoothly apart from if I hit a drain cover or other some such sharp bump. The nearside rear then knocks loudly. When I had it serviced, the mechanic thought it might be the damper which is dry and seems to be mounted correctly. The offside doesn't do it. I thought that maybe the axle bush may be worn but everything seems to be ok. Any ideas?

adamss24
17-10-2006, 08:45 PM
hi, it may be the bump stop. To check the shock absorber, push(bounce) the rear corner of the car 3 times and then release. If it comes to a stop imediattelly then your shock is ok, if it bounces up and down before it rests then the shock its shot. I also know that the axle bushes are prone to fail and the car will feel like having a boot full of bricks but, the car will pass the mot !

Fourbears
20-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I have a look at the Haynes manual and to replace the axle bushes it says to take the removed axle to a VW dealer. I presume that the bushes can be pressed in and out by any garage? Surely its not that difficult? Any advice gratefully received!