PDA

View Full Version : 07 A6 2.7 TDI Radio keeps cutting out

a627mash
14-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I have tried changing all the settings but switching off every option including auto search (whats the point of an RDS radio if you can't use auto search!!) seems to cure it. Basically, it keeps muting the volume for a second or two and comes back on. Can happen several times in a minute or nothing for a day or two. Have it booked in at the dealers later this week, just wondered if anyone else had similar problems?:(

paul b
14-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Is it just the radio that cuts out or do the CDs cut out?
Paul

a627mash
15-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Paul,

just the radio, no problems with the CDs. Its the standard MMI system with additional CD player and BOSE.

MASH

paul b
16-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Right, well that should rule out the volume control fault which was common on the 97-04 range A6. I doubt it is anything to do with the aerial as you describe "muting" rather than loss of signal or turning itself on/off. Which would also rule out the switch. I guess we will have to see what Audi say.
Paul

a627mash
19-01-2008, 03:34 PM
They want to keep the car for a few days while they check it out. !:( Goes back on 4th Feb.

jamesmc
02-02-2008, 07:09 PM
My dad's new A6, it's a 2007 ex demo model with only 100 miles on the clock. it had the same problem with the radio. I
Are the lights on the CD changer flashing. I found that the radio cut out only when the lights on the CD changer were flashing. My dad took it to the Audi garage and got them to fit a new CD changer and now the radio doesn't cut out anymore. Get them to fit a new changer and that should sort it out.

a627mash
05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Cheers jamesmc, the car went in yesterday and I mentioned this as an idea but they still seemed to think it was wiring loom and they'd have to do diagnostics. Another slight problem, I can't get to the changer at the moment as when I press the button to open the glovebox, there is a click and nothing else!

jamesmc
08-02-2008, 02:48 PM
the diagnostics picked it up on my dads car. he got them to fit a new changer. :D
if you look in your owners manual there is a way to open the glovebox manually.

a627mash
14-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Cheers, manual was in the Glovebox too :o!!! They fixed that ( a bit of lubrication on the latch) and a seat belt but couldn't find anything on the diagnostics. They have applied an update to the system and hoped that would fix it, but five mins down the road and it's cutting out again. Back in next week. I'll post an update when they find the cause.

jamesmc
24-02-2008, 10:02 PM
They applied an update to the system on my dads car too. but they did find the problem as it showed up in the diagnostics test... :D

Any luck with it????

:D

a627mash
25-02-2008, 08:26 PM
They applied an update to the system on my dads car too. but they did find the problem as it showed up in the diagnostics test... :D

Any luck with it????

:D
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon13.gifHi jamesmc, no unfortunately not. Been on the road quite a bit lately and it seems to be worse within the first 30 to 60 minutes, but still cuts out. It goes back end of week.

Ta for the feedback, will keep the bulletin updated when I have any progress!:D

jamesmc
26-02-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon13.gifHi jamesmc, no unfortunately not. Been on the road quite a bit lately and it seems to be worse within the first 30 to 60 minutes, but still cuts out. It goes back end of week.

Ta for the feedback, will keep the bulletin updated when I have any progress!:D

Does the sat nav work?

:confused:

a627mash
26-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Its just the MMI Basic, no Sat Nav. That only came as standard on the 2.0 Tdi not the 2.7. I added BOSE and CD Changer. All CD's are fine its just the tuner. It sounds like it's either re-tuning to a new frequency and mutes while it does it or Traffic is about to cut in, but doesn't. If I switch off Traffic and all the RDS functions it's OK but I have to keep re-tuning manually to stay on the same station. Its particularly bad on Radio 2 but that's my age showing!!

jamesmc
27-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Get them to fit a new radio for you and that should sort it, I take it that the car is still under warranty!!!:approve:

a627mash
28-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah not quite a year old yet. I goes in tomorrow and if they don't haven't found anything I will insist they start replacing bits. Thanks for your help. I got a mate to watch the CD changer while I drove around and they didn't see anything, but worth a check.:D

jamesmc
01-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Ok let me know what happens... :beerchug:

MrGimlet
06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
I have the same problem. When it cuts out it is only for a fraction of a second, like it is re-tuning. I dont know if it helps but I have had the same thing with an Alpine head unit. I turned off the .. think it was called autoscan or something and that fixed it. Basically it was the bit that retunes to the strongest signal. This is the same as you have isn't it. Please let me know what they say!

Cheers..

jamesmc
06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
My dads radio works fine now with the new cd changer

jamesmc
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
has it been sorted yet?? :confused:

a627mash
13-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Well another day with the dealer and several testing miles and yes they have finally observed, or heard the problem:biglaugh:. So I'm not going mad, the only problem, no diagnostic code so nothing they can pin the problem to and hence get fixed under warranty:aargh4:. They've sent a DIS (:confused:) report to Audi Technical and we now have to wait and see what they say.

albertatess
15-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I have a q7 with the same problem. Affects the nav, radio, cd's and DVD player. Intermittent powering off-just for a second or 2 but can happen frequently. Seems to have no rhyme or reason. Audi upgraded the mmi version and this seemed to work for about 3 months but the problem is back.
Did you find out anything new???
I'm phoning the dealer in the morning. This'll be my third time dropping the car off so they can figure it out.
Really annoying.:(

MrGimlet
15-03-2008, 10:43 AM
hmm it sounds like my problem is different to yours. mine is the RDS function of the radio that is re-tuning to the strongest station, which takes a fraction of a second (every few seconds) and causes the radio to dut out. If you turn RDS off it is fine (although you lose signal if travelling). they think they need to replace the ECU!!! errrr.... I'll let you know as its goign back next week.

a627mash
17-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry no news yet, the dealer is waiting to here from Audi so other than hasselling the dealer (which I will do) not much else can happen. The more dealers report these issues though the better. I'llpost as soon as I here anything. Other than that everything else is fine!

a627mash
17-03-2008, 10:53 PM
hmm it sounds like my problem is different to yours. mine is the RDS function of the radio that is re-tuning to the strongest station, which takes a fraction of a second (every few seconds) and causes the radio to dut out. If you turn RDS off it is fine (although you lose signal if travelling). they think they need to replace the ECU!!! errrr.... I'll let you know as its goign back next week.

Hi Mr Gimlet,

I'm not sure if it is different. It certainly remains on the same station but sometimes the signal is louder or quieter after the cutout, so could be retuning. Would have to get it to display the frequency rather than station name to check that is what is happening.:beerchug: Just have to wait and see what Audi says, but ECU sounds a bit drastic, best of luck.

jamesmc
10-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi a627mash any luck with Audi??

a627mash
17-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi JamesMC,

no phoned the dealer last Friday, and they haven't got back to me yet. Getting a bit p'd off to be quite frank both with the dealer and Audi. Try again tomorrow.

Savant
18-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I collected a new Audi 2.7 tdi Avant last Tuesday, and leaving work this afternoon I opened and shut the drivers door twice within a few seconds with the engine running. As a result this seemed to confuse the sat nav/MMI/radio with the result that it kept switching off after 15 secs or so. After 15 miles I stopped and read the handbook and did a reset on the MMI which meant holding 3 buttons at the same time, which cured the problem. I recently had a Discovery 3 which last year I did exactly the same thing, i.e. opening and shutting the door twice within a few seconds which caused the sat nav etc to fail, but there was no reset advice so it had to go into the dealer for a software fix.
Also, on the Disco if you put the seatbelt in the receptor 9 times (I think) in quick succession it stopped the bonging, whilst the warning light still operated, I wonder if this applies with Audis!!
And finally, can one fit after market Xenons on an 08 Avant S Line Le Mans? Or even the new LED driving lights??

jamesmc
01-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Any luck with Audi??? surely they should have it sorted by now...:confused:

jamesmc
20-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Any luck??

a627mash
20-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi, been in, they had it for a few days and claim they couldn't find the problem, but they did check out the advice from Audi Technical which indicated a potential problem with one of the amps in the doors. NFF. Described symtoms to the engineer who suspected it maybe just switching between the various aerials to pick up the strongest signal, but I had an identical car for 4 days that didn't do it once. Without a fault code they can't fix it and are reluctant to swap any parts as this wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Advised that when it happens again to take the car in straight away and not switch the engine off, but that's just not practical. My insurance company for a start wouldn't be too pleased!!. Letter to Audi UK I think now.

jamesmc
20-05-2008, 10:11 PM
They did my dad's CD changer under warranty.....:confused:

albertatess
20-05-2008, 10:28 PM
My q7 is still experiencing intermittent cutting out on the nav, DVD, radio and CD's.
It's at the shop now. For the 8th? time!!!
I guess it's time to call Audi Canada.:(

a627mash
22-05-2008, 09:17 PM
:zx11:they won't do anything without a fault code, i.e. something which definitely states there is a problem. The Warranty is basically an SLA with suppliers and manufacturers and unless there is a fault code that enables them to clearly define a problem and hence ownership, there is no budget to pay for the replacement. The customer is served very poorly in this instance because unless the 'car' is deemed 'of not merchantable quality' there is no recource.:aargh4: And noone is going to win that argument over a cutting out radio!!

a8 tech
22-05-2008, 09:28 PM
post your sw versions as there may be a problem with your software versions.Select radio then press and hold set up and return for 10 seconds until the mmi display screen changes to the update scree,select the control unit off the menu screen and post your sw version and i may be able to advise what software version needs updating to stop it.This is for mmi high only,as for this original issue with mmi basic i would suggest j525/523 is defective

a627mash
28-05-2008, 03:34 PM
post your sw versions as there may be a problem with your software versions.Select radio then press and hold set up and return for 10 seconds until the mmi display screen changes to the update scree,select the control unit off the menu screen and post your sw version and i may be able to adise what software version needs updating to stop it.This is for mmi high only,as for this original issue with mmi basic i would suggest j525/523 is defective
think I've got the basic. Tried your suggestion and it went to the Current Config Screen with a list of modules and two further menus, MOST Ring and SW Update. The 5 modules listed were InterfaceBox, CD-Changer, Mobile Adap, Amp-High and Gateway. For interface box SW ver is C6Stdplus_410, Hw ver H35, date 2/3/2007 and Gateway SW Ver 0070, HW Ver H11, date 4/5/05. My dealership did mention they'd done an MMI update but weren't sepcific, I guess that was the interface.

a627mash
20-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Finally took it in whilst it was playing up and was able to demo the fault to the engineer who basically said, aah that's not what we thought it was!! Booked in for a few days on 8th July whilst they swap a few bits. At least the engineer has now heard the issue so we are on the same wavelength (dreadful pun) at last.

Aliboo
28-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I have an 08 reg Audi A6 2.7 Le Mans and get the same problems with cutting out. Did you ever get this resolved ?

a627mash
28-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi there, yes I did, I was given two explanations but basically it was either the tuner itself or the ECU for the tuner, if that helps. I was able to demonstrate the issue to the lead mechanic at my local dealership (Swindon Audi) so suggest you get your dealership to discuss it with Swindon. It was an instant fix and was done within the hour once they had the part and no dismantling of the dash. Best of luck.

a8 tech
28-08-2008, 09:09 PM
So j523 it was then

Front information control unit -J523- behind glove box (left-side)
MMI basic contains radio -R-, digital sound package control unit -J525- and media player in position 1 -R118-

a627mash
28-08-2008, 09:32 PM
A8 Tech, could be, under warranty so NOMB !!. I found a bit of a connector (2 pin) in the passenger footwell, but also noticed the carpet by the drivers seat was sticking out from under the kick plate so not sure what they had to do, but it was quick. I wasn't actually there, my wife took the car in so no chance to see any of the paper work.

Just pleased it was resolved and glad that the mechanic was able to identify the issue once I was able to actually demonstrate it to them.

a8 tech
28-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Was the 2 pin connector black by chance

a627mash
28-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Yep, still got it.

a8 tech
28-08-2008, 10:29 PM
So j523 it was then

Front information control unit -J523- behind glove box (left-side)
MMI basic contains radio -R-, digital sound package control unit -J525- and media player in position 1 -R118-
yes thats the most plug blank for j523:biglaugh:

a627mash
28-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Most plug blank, so what does that mean?

paul b
28-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I think young A8 Sir has had a beer or three... :D

Paul

a8 tech
29-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Most plug blank, so what does that mean?
It means they have replaced the j523 control unit in the glove box and left the throw away protective blank plug on your carpet,confirming my diagnosis some time ago.Nothing to worry about its just a blank plug that should have been thrown away after replacing the control unit

a627mash
29-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh good, thanks for your help and accurate diagnosis. Bit weird how the carpet by the drivers door was disturbed though! With your comments I think that brings to a close this thread now!

Thanks to everyone for your support and contributions.

jamesmc
15-12-2008, 02:31 PM
glad to see everything was sorted...

Merry Christmas
:beerchug:

a627mash
22-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Merry Christmas to you too
:beerchug:

arderra
27-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Cheers jamesmc, the car went in yesterday and I mentioned this as an idea but they still seemed to think it was wiring loom and they'd have to do diagnostics. Another slight problem, I can't get to the changer at the moment as when I press the button to open the glovebox, there is a click and nothing else!

Hi Guys, I just bought my A6 and reading through the service history there was a repair carried out to the glovebox. Apparently the hinges were sticking. The dealer simply stripped it down and regreased the hinges!!! It could be that simple!!!
Arderra

gladholm
29-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I have had similar radio and nav cutting out in my late '05 a6 avant.
Since I've only had the car 2 week, I am quite annoyed!

Found out that it happens when the rear washer pipe splits on nearside roof hatch hinge. Fairly common apparently. Consequence is that when the water flows down the rear pillar it goes into the radio aerial loom, hence causing aerial electronic problems.

Worryingly, I also noticed water in the DVD drive. Solution, - don't use rear water till leak is cured. Since then no radio outages.