PDA

View Full Version : How do i change central locking pump audi a4 1996 1.8 se?

readbmr
14-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi, can anybody help me? ive just bought an Audi A4 1996 1.8 SE And the central locking seems to be faulty !! ie when i put the key in the drivers door lock or the passenger door lock it only locks that particualar door!! ie i can hear a noise from within the boot but also the boot isnt locking!! ie you cant even manually lock the boot as the key does not fit !! what a nitemare im having, also i have found what looks like a central locking pump in the boot and looks second hand, so should i attempt to change it, will i lose anything if i try and change it? and also can anybody tell me where it is and instructions on how to change it please,
Also the alarm dosnt seemt o work but only now and again from the drivers door, im hoping i am not going to have to pay out loads of money to get this sorted as now i dont no if i need a new lock for the boot before changing the pump or !!!
Please Please any help with this as i need to illimunate something !!
Hope to hear soon from Brian
Aslo just to add if it helps i dont have any remote keys for the central locking, just a normal key etc ..

THANKYOU

kenney
14-01-2008, 09:11 PM
The central locking pump is located at rear right of boot, beneath boot trim,you can check if the hoses are in place. But what you realy need is a fault code read out,this will give you an idea of what the fault is.As regards the lock these are seldom used when you have central locking and they tend to seize up,and you usually end up having to replace them.

readbmr
15-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi, and thankyou for your help and reply, im sure i will get it sorted and do i have to take it to a local garage or will a electrictian be ok to do the nessesary checks and faults etc? as i didnt realy want to take it to Audi if you no what i mean !! expense etc...
Hope to hear soon from brian

kenney
15-01-2008, 08:10 PM
It is a fairly straight forward job replacing the pump,the fact that you hear the pump indicates it is receiving signals from the door lock switches,There is a carbon type disc in the pump which disintregates and renders them useless.Saying that, it does happen that one of the vacum-pressure hoses falls off. If you can get a realy quiet place and get someone to activate the locking and put your ear to each of the door locks and listen for a hissing sound that would indicate the pump is working and there is a leakage

readbmr
15-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi and many many thanks for your reply and help, when you say listen for any histing noises do you mean from the actual key locks? ie the drivers and passengers door lock and do you turn the key then listen? or did you mean histing from within the boot where the pump is,? and if i do hear any histing from wherevever does that mean its good or bad, i actually changed the pump today and wasnt even sure if the one that was already in the boot as a spare was faulty or not? so now i dont no wether to go and get a second hand one from somewhere!! This is realy frustrating and hopefully i will get it sorted soon and still waiting to hear from my local electrician guy, automation a mobile electrical alarm specialalist....

Also im not sure if it helps but one of the white clips that goes into one of the pipes seems a little lose when connecting it onto the pump!! ie the right hand side goes on great and clips on tight, but the left hand side seems a little lose!! could that be of any use to you, and also now ive changed the pump over with no joy my car radio seems to turn its self back on to display the clock when i have locked the car from the drivers door !! So now im realy confused to what is going on !! I just hope it doesnt drain my battery ...

Sorry to go on and are you local by any chance to help, would pay you to sort it !!

Hope to hear soon and also from any body local to me who would be able to sort this for me, im in dorset by the way..

Thankyou nad hope to hear soon from Brian

kenney
15-01-2008, 09:05 PM
The pump works as a pneumatic system,To make it easier to understand,there are 2 hoses attached to each door lock,when you lock the car, vacum pulls the lock down,and when you open,pressure presses the lock up.When i said listen for any hissing,that would indicate that the pump is working,(you said you heard the pump?) and that there is a leakkage.The door lock is about 20cm below all 4 door handels. Yes it is important that the hoses are connected properly to the pump.TELL YOU WHAT remove both the hoses from the pump,get someone to activate the central locking and put your finger lightly over each of the holes on the pump,if the pump is ok you should feel vacum on the one and pressure on the other when you turn the lock open---close.If this is the case then the pump is ok,then listen for the leakage

readbmr
15-01-2008, 09:28 PM
hi and thankyou so much for your reply, so if i listen for any hising tommorrow does that mean i need to replace the pump or can i just replace a part within the pump? and also if i cant feel any preasure from the pipes doing the way you have explained ? also i dont have the remote key for the car as i didnt get one with it, is there any chance audi or anybody else can make me a new one from my vin/chassis number/barrel locks etc? or am i buggered with that side of it, im not to worried about that as can live without the remote key etc, but would be nice to have, also is it true i cant have an after market alarm fitted to my audi as it involves long work within the cars ecu system? Also regarding the pump side of things , when i change the pump with the other one i found in my boot do i have to have it all reset immediately by an autoelectrician? as will it drain my battery as my radio now seems to stay on when i lock the car manually with the key !!!

Thankyou again for your help and regards from Brian

kenney
15-01-2008, 09:51 PM
No if you hear hissing, then the pump is working ok, the hissing indicates there is a leakkage, a hose disconnected somewere.There are no spare parts available for these pumps.There is no resettng.

readbmr
16-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi and thanks to all again, im hoping autotech is going to help me at the weekend and also does anybody have the white clip that goe onto the central locking pump as one of them doesnt seem to attach properly to the pump? its the white clip at the end of the cable that goes onto the central locking pump,

Many thanks from Brian in dorset