PDA

View Full Version : 1995 A4 Quattro - Handbrake cables

JDA
13-01-2008, 08:44 PM
The L/H side handbrake cable on my 1995 A4 2.6 Quattro (220000 mls!) has seized, I assume that one end of the cable is attached to the handbrake lever, can this be accessed by removing the heat shield? Hopefully the exhaust &/or propshaft do not have to be removed to get to the hand brake end of the cable??

JDA
13-01-2008, 08:58 PM
After some more thought, can the cable end be accessed from inside the car, by removing the covers around the handbrake lever?

JDA
19-01-2008, 05:12 PM
As no one has replied, I have answered my own question.
Access to the end of the handbrake lever is by removing the centre console around the handbrake lever.
Disconnect the cable nipple from the handbrake lever, disconnect cable @ the handbrake mechanism on the rear disc bake assembly.
Remove old cable, route the new cable the same as the old one, it is fiddly getting the cable between the heat shield & body.
Connect cable @ both ends,adjust cable with the adjusting nuts,refit console.

avantiblue
19-01-2008, 07:34 PM
i have a brand new handbrake cable, if you require, i was told i needed one to pass the mot, so went and bought one from audi, it turned out the back brakes and discs needed replacing, will send it via next day delivery and cheaper than the dealers.

JDA
20-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the offer, got one from Partco, fitted & working perfectly.
Identical to original Audi cable & probably cheaper!