PDA

View Full Version : eos alarm problems

colin s
13-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi,
I have a May 2007 EOS 2.0 TDI, bought as an ex-demonstrator in November. I am currently plagued by the alarm going off intermittently. Its been into VW 3 times now, still a problem. The diagnostics apparently point to the interior sensors triggering the alarm, but they don't know why. Both interior sensors have been replaced but its still happening.
Has anyone had any similar experiences, and any idea how to resolve?
Thanks in advance,
Colin

peakwhite
13-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I've had a similar problem with my Eos. The alarm would go off randomly both at day and night, 2 or 3 times each week. The dealer said it was due to the interior sensors going off but there was no fault. I resolved it by switching off the sensors with the button in the drivers door, when I park the car.

colin s
13-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Thats about the same frequency as it happens to me; I also have switched the sensors off, but it is a pain having to remember to do this each time I leave the car - and obviously you shouldn't have to work around this problem...

Its booked back in again next week for another investigation. Personally I would rather be able to swith off the interior sensors comlpetely - they are pretty superfluous.

peakwhite
13-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I agree, it would be best to be able to switch the sensors off completely; maybe someone on the forum knows how? I had the same problem on a previous VW; the sensors are possibly very sensitive to movement of insects or heat expansions. I've now got in the abit of pressing the off button along with swinging in the mirrors each time I park.

Simon68
27-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Took delivery of car on Friday lunch... 8am Saturday morning the alarm went off twice within 3 minutes (roof up) The car had been left overnight. That afternoon the car had been out for about 5 hours with the roof down. The alarm went off again without any obvious reason. Then from 5pm through to 8.30 am this morning was fine and suddenly went off again.

Did any of you get any further with the issue? If not I may just throw the car back at VW and demand a refund. Nothing worse than having an intermittant (daily) alarm call. My neighbours are loving our latest purchase.

Regards

peakwhite
27-04-2008, 09:25 PM
It still happens occasionally, if I forget to switch the sensors off when I park the car. My dealer checked the alarm and found no problems. Next time it's in, I'll ask if they can reduce the sensors' sensitivity.

Simon68
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Been to have the alarm looked at today.

The technician that I saw made comment to VW knowing of an issue with the sensors. The default value that the sensors are set at is too strong and creates a field which expands outside the boundary of the vehicle. Even the force of the wind can trigger the false alarms.

It sounded about right as I had on a couple of occasions just walked by the car and the alarm triggered.

He said something about the value being 50% more than required. Anyway they did whatever and (touching wood) we have had a very quiet afternoon.

Regards

colin s
01-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I haven't got any further with mine. It is definitely the interior sensors (which have been replaced); the VW technicians can see from the diagnostics that this is the circuit that is being triggered but they don't know why. This is backed up by the fact that the alarm has never gone off if the interior sensors are switched off; if they are left on, the alarm is reguallrly triggered, but only at night or in underground carpark at work.

I suspect security lights or artificial lighting might have an effect, as we had a quite period outside the house until it triggered on the very same evening when I replaced a security light bulb which had not been working for weeks. I have no idea why this might be as I understand the interior sensors are by microwave (or something like that).

Ultimately it has been in so many times to VW that I have lived with it for the last few months and have got in habit of switching off the sensors.:zx11:

I may have another go soon to see if they have learnt anything new at VW.

Simon68
02-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Now your comment about the security lighting answers a few questions!

We too had issues that the secuity lights on our drive nearest to where the car was parked had been going off and on without any reason. I hadn't until last night realised that this was in fact the car alarm thinking that the light must be on its way out. As you say the microwave must be to blame as last night we had no issues at all. In fact I am going to make sure today that they didn't just disconnect the sensors (joke... I have every faith in Listers-Nuneaton).

Going back to the issue with the alarm the activations would vary.... anything from 2-4 times in 10 miniutes to once a day.

Regards

Simon68
06-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Ignore everything that I have said!!!!!

The alarm continues to go off without any reason..... 5.50am this morning (at least it was in the garage). Following Saturday evenings late activation I thought that I had better lock it away...

Will keep you posted.

Simon68
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I have just been in touch with the service department and been advised that the issue is a known issue with VW and it is an item marked as 'under investigation' but with no known fix. The adjustment to the sensors looks like it was something that possibly just helps.

They have made a suggestion about just deactivating the alarm fully... which on a car that is one week old is totally rediculous. God knows what my insurers would say!

x_galla
19-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi all,

I have a demonstration car on loan at the moment and the alarm went off twice last night.

Will be speaking with VW dealer today - not impressed (and neither are my neighbours!!)

Simon68
19-05-2008, 07:37 PM
We have just had the sensors changed and so far (since Friday) we have not had one false alarm. Prior we were having 3 a day on average.

However with the windows open/roof down you are unable to trigger the alarm system. There is something (maybe i'm too suspicious!) that makes me wonder if they have actually disconnected the sensors rather than replacing them.

The dealer that carried out refused to do the work as they were told that VW wouldn't pay for any other work...... I threatened to return the vehicle in order to make them do the work....

My dealer says that mine is the third EOS that they have issues with...

Stay clear for now..... seriously.

Laurie
24-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Hallo all -- can I join the intermittent alarm community? We've had our Eos since March. The alarm went off four times over 3 months. Once I think there was something buzzing round inside, otherwise no reason. Took it into my local dealer -- Citygate, London NW9 -- last week and they said they'd reduced the sensitivity. Then this afternoon, picked up my wife from the station, parked in the drive, walked into the house, and off it went! Not best pleased. The car is fine otherwise apart from the passenger front seatbelt, which keeps twisting. They've now shown me how to untwist it.

Simon68
24-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Welcome aboard........

After a lot of resistance from the servicing VW dealer and threats to the supplier of the VW saying that NO FIX = FULL REFUND and a call to VW direct reiterating my position they replaced the sensors and all seems to have been cured. In fact when it goes in for a service they are going to increase the sensitivity as they feel that it is actually too low (it still works!).
Whilst I was in the garage there were a number of Passat's in the workshop and carpark with alarms that kept going off (Mmmm strange!) and since I have spoken with 2 owners of fairly new Passats who both independantly mentioned that their alarms kept going off and that they had to have the sensors replaced. Looks like VW have had a bit of an issue across the board!

So tell them you're not happy..... tell them that they need to swap the sensors or you are going to reject the goods under the sales of gods act..... i'm sure they won't want it back!

elc
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I had the same problem with the alarms going off for no reason, my dealer replaced the sensors with no argument.

Now I have a strange squeak coming from the rear roof pillar to tackle! any suggestions?

Simon68
17-08-2008, 12:15 PM
After months of silence.... the alarm went off at about 4am this morning and would not stop as in once you deactivated the alarm the car auto locked and started again...... had to put it in the garage and deactivate the internal sensors....... Must be due for a call to VW to see if they have furthered their investigation into the issue (don't hold out much hope!... but will keep you posted)

colin s
18-08-2008, 04:56 PM
After 6 months of silnece (unfortunately from VW, not the alarm) the dealer has now received another new part to try from the factory. Should get it fitted within the next week or so and wiill report back any progress. If it works it will be very nice not to have to continually press the switch in the door everytime I lock the car (it's all too easy to forget). watch this space...

Simon68
18-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks.... I will also keep you posted how I get on.

colin s
31-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Hopefully good news. The new part was fitted last Tuesday, and so far, so good - no repeat occurrences. Previously it was almost guaranteed to go off if not disarmed.
So, still keeping fingers crossed but after 10 months its finally looking promising.

The part fitted was described as "modified interior sensor slave monitor as per 2017961/1" - I assume the latter number is a service bulletin of some sort. Its also decribed on the work sheet as "radar sensor".

It was fitted at Keiths Garages Aylesbury.

Hope this helps if anyone still has the same frustrating & annoying problem.

Simon68
31-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Colin,
Many thanks for your information update. I will contact them tomorrow.
Regards

Simon

Simon68
11-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I went into Listers Nuneaton this week as the car dropped an alternator belt.....

They couldn't track the part number but did confirm that VW do have a fix for the issue and that the part is only available from October 2008 so I have to wait until then. Possibly you have been lucky enough to get the pre-release...hence why they couldn't track the part/ref you quoted.

Regards

colin s
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Worth waiting for though - it has still been trouble-free since it was fitted.
Colin

Simon68
09-12-2008, 08:05 AM
DON'T BUY A EOS...... unless you like getting woken up at all hours of the day

Months on and i'm still being fobbed off about the replacement part. The dealer doesn't ring me back and all I get is end of the month.... as in end of October.... then end of November and now End of December. The 'Servicing Dealership' said that VW know the issue and all they are waiting for is someone to manufacture the part!........ this was yesterday and at just gone 6am the alarm went off again so i'm going to pick up on the 'bull crap' that I have been given and tell VW they can have the car back.... enough is enough!

Lets see if that spurs on someone to make a part!

colin s
09-12-2008, 08:20 AM
I don't blame you. Just FYI, mine has still been OK since the part was fitted in August. It may be worth contacting Keiths in Aylesbury directly. Good luck whichever course you choose to take.

Simon68
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Colin,
Thanks for your speedy reply.... almost as shocking as an alarm going off at 3am!

Will keep you posted!

Simon68
21-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Had the part replaced and 'touching wood' we are now all cured!........ Many thanks to all that listened...and contributed.

Rocketeer
11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I bought my Eos back in September last year, and for a few weeks I had the same intermittent alarm problem.

Phoned the dealership - I hadn't found this site then - and they said they hadn't every heard of an issue, so I just got very good at finding the one spot in my house where the key fob will reach the car to unlock and re-lock... I assumed there was a spider or something wandering around inside.

Oddly, it never did it in my work car-park, and never when I took the car to my parents' place... it did happen once at my girlfriend's though...

It seemed to stop after a month or so, and I assumed that the interior had got dusty enough to obscure the sensors enough that the alarm didn't go off on such a hair trigger...

However - reading through this thread - maybe it's not a coincidence that my security light has been going on and off randomly for the last six months.
I'm going to the dealership for a tow-bar soon, so I'll ask about that part number...

I had the same problem with the alarms going off for no reason, my dealer replaced the sensors with no argument.

Now I have a strange squeak coming from the rear roof pillar to tackle! any suggestions?
Don't supposed anyone figured that one out - I have a similar squeak that's been bugging me!

Nick

Simon68
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Nick,
It took my dealership a while to admit to the problem and it was only after I faxed a letter to the dealership & VW Customer services threatening to return the car for a full refund that the part suddenly became available.
Listers Nuneaton ended up doing the replacement.

If you need any ideas for a letter to VW send me a PM with your email and I will gladly send you over copies of my letters.

There was no logic to the alarm going off..... from what was explained to me was that the unit that controlled the sensors made them become too powerful and the 'assume microwave' exceeded the perimeter of the car.... hence the security light going off.

Watch that they do not try to fob you off with either turning the sensors down or swapping them.... thats just a deviation to where you need to go.

The squeek.... Hmmmm...... Think I read somewhere that there was something on the roof mechanism that needed tweaking. Will see if I can find that for you.

Regards

Si

SueFC
19-09-2010, 10:00 PM
It's almost good to know that I'm not the only one driving my neighbours mad!

Seriously though, how long should we have to put up with problems like this? My dealer have told me that once my warranty runs out next month they will accept no responsibility for any issues that they have failed to resolve over the last three years.

How is that justifiable???

Simon68
20-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I would seriously look at getting something in writing via a solicitor. I would also look at contacting VW direct and get them involved. You should demand that they extend your warranty to cover the alarm as it hasn't been resolved during the warranty.

You are on a bit of a sticky wicket given that you have put up with the rubbish for so long. VW should be able to get the dealer to replace the faulty alarm bits as they know what parts are the issue.

If you call Lee at Listers VW Nuneaton and say you have a problem with an EOS and an alarm which goes off all the time he should be able to tell you what part is required.

Just a thought..... if you have finance on the car it may be worth contacting the finance company to tell them that the goods are faulty and you want your money back..... having worked on the other side of the fence the finance companies can apply some pressure with the dealers as they don't like to give money back.

Let me know how you get on.

SueFC
20-09-2010, 11:08 PM
If only the alarm were the only problem. I've also had repeated issues with: faulty boot mechanism (refusing to open), rattles and clunks from the roof, squealing brakes, wind noise from windows and roof seals, water pooling in the door sills, handbrake failure, broken lock to glove compartment, water leaking into boot, corroded body work around wing mirror, faulty exhaust pressure sensor, roof leaks, and faulty exhaust temp sensor.

It has been in to the dealer for warranty fixes 16 times, costing me 600 miles on its odometer, 1200 miles worth of fuel, and 60 hours of my time.
The dealer seem incapable of, and disinterested in, resolving the faults. VW do nothing other than refer me back to the dealer.
The VW Eos is one of the worst, and most expenisve, decisions I have ever made.
I've now sent off a chapter and verse letter to the chairman of VW, the head of customer service in the UK, the UK marketing department, and the dealer. Just waiting to see if any of them care enough to send me a reply!