PDA

View Full Version : Brake Servo water ingress problems

ashab02
13-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello
I have a 2001 passat tdi sport 130bhp 6 speed manual saloon. Although I have no problems with the brakes I have read on here that people have suffered water in the servo because of water build up
My question is how do we prevent this from happening, is there a way I can clean the drain plugs?
Can someone tell me where they are located?
Shab

snapdragon
13-01-2008, 06:20 PM
One is under the battery (yeah I know!) the other is under the brake servo (yeah I know!). You could try swilling some hot water in there to see how quickly it drains away, maybe rinse the drains through a bit?

ashab02
13-01-2008, 09:41 PM
One is under the battery (yeah I know!) the other is under the brake servo (yeah I know!). You could try swilling some hot water in there to see how quickly it drains away, maybe rinse the drains through a bit?
Hi
I have now unblocked the drain plugs. They where well and truely blocked. Had to take the battery out to get to the plugs. What if I take the rubber plugs out fully, what affects would this have.

Also I couldnt get the druver side wiper off. Do you have any ideas on how to do this? It was stuck solid. Passengers came off easily.

snapdragon
14-01-2008, 11:35 AM
HERE IS THE FORM...
http://www.geocities.com/krustycola/VOSAVERSION.doc

Vehicle Safety Branch
Berkeley House
Croydon Street
Bristol
BS5 0DA
Tel: 0117 954 3300
Fax: 0117 954 3328
Our Ref: New-VSD
14 January 2008

VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT - BRAKE FAILURE

Thank you for your email enquiry of 8 January 2008 in respect of the above alleged concern. Please complete the enclosed Vehicle Safety Defect report form as fully as possible and return it to me at the above address. The information you provide will assist us to determine whether we can pursue this matter with the manufacturer.

We would ask you to be aware that not all cases can be taken forward and that we are only able to request the manufacture to start an enquiry, if there is sufficient evidence of a safety defect and a significant number of vehicles are affected. It may be helpful for you to know that ‘a safety defect’ as defined in the Code of Practice, under which the Vehicle Safety Branch operates, “is a feature of design or construction liable to cause significant risk of personal injury or death”.

Our aim is to improve road safety. Completing and returning the Vehicle Safety Defect report, has the potential to lead to actions such as a production change, service measure or safety recall. Your help will be very much appreciated.

If you require any assistance in completing the form, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Paul A Taviner
Senior Administrator

Enc: Vehicle Safety Defect Form

Baron_Samedi
18-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Can this thread be stickied?

jollyg
25-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I'll be filling it out - ours failed just before Christmas - I nearly hit the back of a van and pulled my shoulder getting the handbrake on. :( Dealer says he's never heard of the problem!

PURVEY
16-02-2008, 04:04 PM
i've had the same trouble. Car has been back to the main dealer twice and i had to tell them the fault in the end (thanks to every one on the forum). Going to fill the form.