PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help - A3 Coolant Leak & Oil Level

RussD
13-01-2008, 04:13 PM
:1zhelp::confused:
HI there, I have an A3 05 plate, 67K, recently, over the past month, i have had to top up the coolant level a couple of times. I took it to Audi for a Pressure test, they said that they could find no major leak. I am due to take it back in a few weeks for an overnight Ptest to see if they can find any small leak.

However, today I have just checked the oil level and it is way up, over all of the markings by a 5mm. I have also noticed a smell of oil after a journey coming from the exhaust, Cat Converter, which would fit with such a high oil level.

Is it possible for the coolant to be leaking into the engine and mixing with the oil?

And what will be the impact of driving it until I can get it to the garage which could be a week?

Thanks
R

passat>sport
13-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Is it possible for the coolant to be leaking into the engine and mixing with the oil?

Yes, But if you are still driving the car, it will have gone creamy by now. Whats the underside of the oil-cap look like?

RussD
13-01-2008, 06:54 PM
The oil cap looks fine, as does the oil. no discolouration, although it seems thin. Although I am not totally sure how thick it should be.

passat>sport
13-01-2008, 07:02 PM
The oil cap looks fine, as does the oil. no discolouration, although it seems thin. Although I am not totally sure how thick it should be

. If you are driving it, then it is not mixing with the oil. (oil and water mixing goes coffee coloured)

When was the water-pump last changed? (if ever)

Also you will get incorrect readings if you are not checking the oil the same way every time. i.e, always check a few mins after shut down on a full tempreture engine.

RussD
13-01-2008, 07:28 PM
The pump hasn't been changed.

Thanks for the info, it could be the way that I checked it, It was cold.

I am taking it to the garage to get it pressure tested on the 28th to try and find the leak. I was just racking my brain about the oil level and whether they were linked. I'll keep and eye on it and test the level as suggeted tomorrow.

many thanks

R