PDA

View Full Version : New Beetle wont start.

alanhbirch
13-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi - I have a 1999 2.0 beetle lhd which i recently took to a friends and had a new starter fitted. I have since driven it home and parked it up, but the internal lightwas left on and ran the battery dead flat. I charged it up with a trickle charger to a fully charged state but the car wont start, it turns over with plenty of energy but just wont fire at all - have i done something to the immobiliser? or is there something simple I'm just not getting?

I would appreciate any help :confused:

Thanks

BTW - love the car to bits otherwise!

turbobugger
27-01-2008, 12:13 AM
INSPECTION: Sometimes a battery will not recharge after it goes flat for a long enough time. The cell will die!
Other times the terminals need to be scraped clean with a battery terminal cleaner to get the dirt off. The battery terminals should always be spotless and completely clean.

If they are dirty clean them and try to start!

If that does not work! Try jumpstarting with another vehicle
If the jumpstart works then you need to replace the battery with a new one.

another note: If the Car battery terminal connectors have acid corrosion. *white powder all over* you should cut off the connectors and use new clamps from the auto store. the white powder will short out your power source!

alanhbirch
27-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply Turb- Sorry I should have made myself fully understood - this was not a flat battery problem but induced by a flat battery>

I ended up having "Ruby " towed to the menders who amongst other things cleared down the Faults on the ECU and she started again - cost me a hundred quid for the tow and the fix.

Job sorted - but thanks for taking the trouble!

turbobugger
29-01-2008, 06:42 AM
just wondering? did your radio display SAFE and did the cluster lights go out?

alanhbirch
29-01-2008, 09:10 PM
No - the radio still worked and - i presume you mean the lights around the speedo - they all worked :confused:

turbobugger
22-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I found this guy that will program the ecu to match the cluster. I sent in my cluster and Ecu and now the immo problem is fixed. His email is mrfixitfast777@yahoo.com

woola :)