PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke from my exhaust

Keith George
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I am the owner of a 10 year old Seat Alhambra which has now reached 227,000 miles. It has recently started to blow out smoke from the exhaust which is black and I think is unburnt fuel. From cold the engine has also started to rev up and down without me moving the accelorator. I am looking for ideas of what is causing this problem which I hope will not be expensive to fix.

I have owned the car since June 2002 when it had 133,000 miles on the clock. My kids are quite tall which is why I run a people carrier. I will be using it to visit the 24 hour race at Le Mans in June, therefore need to make sure the car is fit for the trip. I have one or two other things to fix but the smoking problem is my biggest issue at this time.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Keith George
15-01-2008, 01:55 PM
After spending the weekend servicing the car to try and resolve this problem I had the car in the garage yesterday to get it diagnosed.

I had replaced the air and fuel filters and added a cleaning additive none of which resolved the issue.

The garage found a split in tha "Turbo Boost" sensor pipe behind the engine which they replaced along with the "Mass Airflow" sensor.

The car now runs without smoking and should return improved fuel consumption.

The only bad news is I do not know what the repair bill is yet.

chrisvrscrx
15-01-2008, 02:33 PM
It should't really be much more than £200