PDA

View Full Version : Audi Coupe 16v front end drone

mjr010
12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
HI Wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions.

I have had a 1994 Audi Coupe 16v (116k) for a year now, no problems. I had a Powerflow Stainless Cat back exhaust sytem fitted in March which obviously makes the car sound a bit louder.

However, more recently i have noticed an increasing drone/vibration coming from the front end at increasingly lower speeds (used to only get it when doing 60+ now it happen at 30). it mainly happens after you have got up to speed and then ease off the accelerator, when you accelerate it seems to go away or become lessened.

13/01/08
Ok been out in the car today for a run and noticed the drone and vibration goes away when turning left. Does anyone know if replacing wheel bearings would be a likely solution?

any ideas anyone ?

cheers

Mike

scotty33
16-01-2008, 08:43 PM
When you turn left, the left side carries less weight which points toward the left front wheel bearing being worn. If it gets worse when you turn right this would make it more likely!

mjr010
16-01-2008, 08:54 PM
thanks for replying, its going in to my local garage tomorrow, at 30 mph the noise seems to be coming from front right (feel it in the pedals) but when up to 60+ it could be from anywhere cos the whole dash vibrates. hellish. just hope it doesnt need new wheel hub aswell....

cheers

Mike

mjr010
21-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Aye, it was front right wheel bearing, plus right wishbone arm was "hinging" as mechanic described it, so that had to be replaced as well. Major difference, car is super quiet now at the front even up the motorways. Another mystery solved....